Should Insurance Be Required?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There was the video recently of the cyclist hitting the back of a stationary driving instructors car.

If that cyclist is not insured, who foots the bill for the repair? The loss of earnings/hire of a suitable vehicle while it's being repaired?
The cyclist is liable. He can be sued.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Insurance seems like a red herring in all this to me. If you damage a car and hang around, expect to pay. The driver should sue you. If you refuse to pay or can't pay then the bailiffs come and take away your plasma telly and sell it. On the off chance that that you don't have a plasma TV then we should probably set up some kind of fund whereby the Govt pays out the injured party and retrieves the money piecemeal via attachment of earnings.That way the driver isn't out of pocket and the person responsible pays eventually.

Insurance is a personal thing that you buy to cover any liabilities you may end up with that means you get to keep your plasma TV. It really shouldn't matter to the driver whether or not you're insured. This should apply to all accidents whether caused by peds, cyclists, horseriders or motor traffic.

The cyclist is liable. He can be sued.
You think he will have enough to pay for the repairs, and loss of earnings/hire vehicle?

Would you be happy to have the same scenario on a £1k bicycle? Driver doesn't see it parked, and runs it over? Would you be happy not to go through his insurance, and try to take him to court privately?

Hell no! You will be wanting to be claiming on his insurance

If you refuse to pay or can't pay then the bailiffs come and take away your plasma telly and sell it.

It doesn't work like that, just because a court rules in your favour, and orders them to pay. It doesn't mean you will get cash, if they can't afford to, or refuse. You need to go through another court process, costing even more money.

If they don't have the cash to pay the first lot, you reckon they can pay the next set of court costs + bailiff fees? Chances are you're not getting the money back
we should probably set up some kind of fund whereby the Govt pays out the injured party and retrieves the money piecemeal via attachment of earnings.That way the driver isn't out of pocket and the person responsible pays eventually
You mean the MIB (Motor Insurers Bureau)? They will cover uninsured costs etc, but each claim on that is covered by all drivers insurance policy, at which a certain % of the insurance cost goes towards.

You think he will have enough to pay for the repairs, and loss of earnings/hire vehicle?

Would you be happy to have the same scenario on a £1k bicycle? Driver doesn't see it parked, and runs it over? Would you be happy not to go through his insurance, and try to take him to court privately?

Yep. Probably would. Like when someone breaks donething in a shop. Or a crossing pedestrian causes car to break and swerve. Or a kid running causes a person to trip over.

Happens so rarely to not warrant cost of setting up compulsory insurance.

Yep. Probably would. Like when someone breaks donething in a shop. Or a crossing pedestrian causes car to break and swerve. Or a kid running causes a person to trip over.

Happens so rarely to not warrant cost of setting up compulsory insurance.

Read my first post properly :smile:

I said I do NOT agree with compulsory insurance, impossible to police, and would reduce casual cyclist numbers. But, I think it's a good idea for road cyclists to have it, since it protects them from a liability, and will also offer them protection of hit by an uninsured driver.

So to clarify my opinion.

Insurance is a good idea, compulsory is not,

You want insurance for cyclists cos of the risk of them causing an unrecoverable loss, right?

So, big problem then, according to you, yes?

So, please post a verifiable example of a cyclist causing an unrecoverable loss.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
FFS. Take it up with your MP.
If the lawmakers perceived it as a problem they'd enact legislation. We can't do it.
Just like we can't choose to pay 'road tax', however much some self entitled farkwit shouts at us as we're cycling along.

You said insurance is a good idea. If you can find a verifiable example of a cyclist causing an unrecoverable loss you would have a point. After all, if it's a problem there must be examples?

There was the video recently of the cyclist hitting the back of a stationary driving instructors car.

If that cyclist is not insured, who foots the bill for the repair? The loss of earnings/hire of a suitable vehicle while it's being repaired?

The cyclist. Obviously. You keep inventing problems that don't exist, why on earth assume the cyclist won't pay when that's not what happened and you seem unable to find an example of it ever happening ever anywhere. Ever.

I've no idea how to discern the difference between a casual cyclist and a "road cyclist", whatever that is.

There is no problem, if there were you'd have examples. Campaign for something sensible like banning Monday's or making gravy illegal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Insurance is a good idea if you are a regular cyclist. You never know.

I was knocked off in a hit and run in September. The MIB wouldn't accept my claim as the car wasn't traced (no CCTV and no reg) and it would have been £700 to appeal. Unfortunately as I was hit my bike bounced into another cyclist. Six months after the accident a claim arrives from an ambulance chaser. I've forwarded this to BC solicitors. The other guy has ended up having three ops on his elbow. We can't trace the driver but because I did the decent thing and called the ambulance and the police and reported the accident, I'm the only one this guy can sue. He didn't report the accident or do anything until this letter arrived.

At least I don't have to worry if the case goes against me.

Get insurance.

Jimidh

Veteran
I am of the opinion that Complulsory Insurance for cyclists is one of those red herrings promoted by the media and motoring interest groups. I have yet to see any compelling evidence that cyclists cause major damages to cars and pedestrians that would warrant a compulsory scheme.

Such a scheme would be difficult and expensive to police and at a time when we want to get more cyclists on the road would be a hindrance to that aim.

That said I do think on a personal basis that if you are cycling on a regular basis then some form of insurance is a good idea.

As a member of British Cycling I have 3rd party insurance plus I have taken out insurance to protect my own bikes - but that is a personal choice.

Top Bottom