Show us your self builds...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
:okay: cheers AndyRM

coco69

Veteran
lQEN9SFD

Attachments

• 20150324_173326.jpg
    20150324_173326.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 110

Cubist

Still wavin'
My brother is disabled (learning difficulties) and will be 60 this weekend. He has always liked riding bikes, albeit not very far or adventurously, and for a while has ridden a skip find (he works for the local parks and gardens department) which I have tried to get in some sort of rideable shape, but to be fair it's a 90s rigid steel MTB and is not much to work with.

His company use the C2W scheme, and he was talking about his workmates sorting out a bike for him. I helped him research what sort of bike they were pushing him towards, and of course it was some horrendously unsuitable MTB. We therefore did bit of shopping round and discovered that Halfords et al don't seem to do much that would suit him, all being a bit complicated, and he was put off disc brakes after a "grab a big handful" moment on one of my kids' bikes a while ago. I therefore persuaded him to let me build him something, to a budget and a spec that would suit his short, flattish ride to work.

It didn't need to be complicated either in terms of gears or brakes, and it didn't need to have many bells and whistles. I intended to find him a used hardtail frame until I found a bargain V brake frame in On One's Spring Clearout. and then build it up with budget components, sourced from classifieds, and originally with a £275 budget in mind the build began.

The frame cost 20 quid, brand new, (bit of a story, thanks Planet X Customer Service, you were great in the end!) a rigid cromo fork £35, a lovely handbuilt FSA 26" wheelset, 20 quids' worth of tyres and tubes,(Halfords Schwalbe City Jets) a used Deore square taper crank and a satin black rattle can, a 36t chainring out of my spares box, a cheap chainguard off eBay, 11-36 10 speed cassette, again out of my spares box, a Charge Spoon off these here classifieds, a bargain SLX mech from Merlin, a Zee 10 speed shifter, UN55 BB and a chain from CRC, and some bargainous Alivio V brakes again off eBay. Bars headset and stem out of the spares box, £3 grips from Bikehut and pedals for the same money from Planet X.

Total cost £297. It weighs bang on 11kg. I don't reckon that's too bad! Hope he likes it....

055_1.jpg
058.jpg
061.jpg
068.jpg
069.jpg

Butty1972

Good job Cubist!

HovR

Über Member
Originally built this up as a wet weather/around town bike, but when I moved I no longer had room for quite so many bikes, so I fitted a better set of wheels and it became my all-rounder.

View attachment 55149

Peugeot PGN-10 frameset (Reynolds 501)
Fulcrum Racing 7 wheelset
Shimano UN55 BB
Stronglight ST55 crankset
Shimano PD-M530 pedals
Shimano 8 speed cassette
Brand-X seatpost
Charge Spoon Saddle

Pictured are Vittoria Rubino tires, but it's now running Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

Cockpit and rear dérailleur are original after stripping down, cleaning and polishing.

My Peugeot has changed a bit since last posted:

zBBt7d8.jpg

Now featuring Cane Creek SCR5 levers, Miche dual pivot brakes, and Tiagra 4650 compact chainset with original Simplex front derailleur. Also bumped the tires up a size to 25c. Rides even better now with the improved brakes.

Andy Morris

Been building this for the last couple of Months. Saw the frame and forks on a well known auction site & couldn't resist. Apparently made by a small Italian company who have since gone bust.. I did want to do it justice and kit it out with Campagnolo components but couldn't get the gear range that I wanted. So went Shimano Tiagra 10 speed instead. Shimano R501 wheelset with gatorskins. Took it for its first ride today. Very happy with it. Let me know your opinions - Thankyou

9mO5gw.jpg

Top Bottom