Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
Looking a whole lot better!

Centre pull are Ok with the correct adjustment and blocks. What make is the machine?

Yean, I know, but they weren't shiny enough! Its a Falcon.

johnsie

Now I'm all for a light bike for a fast commute.

Its steel for me - I'm on the racer about to take these two lovely ladies.

Incidentally - first ped i've seen without the mandatory mp3/phone attachment for a while. I wonder what his excuse for wandering across the road so nonchalantly is.

Seriously - this could be Peckham 195? anyone know any more?

Cheers

Attachments

• print001_small.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 152

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Gerry, why do you have bar-end shifters fitted when you're using canti-brakes? Why not use integrated gear and brake levers?

Fair question Ben. It's because my hands are a bit cranky due to arthritis and having ridden for a long distance, I find gear changing more comfortable than with integrated shifters. Mrs A simply finds bar end shifters easier to use as her hands are tiny. We both have other bikes with integrated shifters, so we specified bar end types on our bespoke tourers deliberatley.

johnsie

Now I'm all for a light bike for a fast commute.

Its steel for me - I'm on the racer about to take these two lovely ladies.

Incidentally - first ped i've seen without the mandatory mp3/phone attachment for a while. I wonder what his excuse for wandering across the road so nonchalantly is.

Seriously - this could be Peckham 195? anyone know any more?

Cheers

Now I'm confused - someone has suggested this could be the pre-pedestrianised Carfax in Horsham - from the original print I can see that the shop name behind the bus stop is "Joan..something..ton" and the old Bedford truck is something J.Wright.
J

Ben M

Fair question Ben. It's because my hands are a bit cranky due to arthritis and having ridden for a long distance, I find gear changing more comfortable than with integrated shifters. Mrs A simply finds bar end shifters easier to use as her hands are tiny. We both have other bikes with integrated shifters, so we specified bar end types on our bespoke tourers deliberatley.

Fair enough. Next question: why don't you use V brakes? they would offer better stopping power and you want to use bar-end shifters, so using V brake levers like the ones tektro make would be a straight swap for the levers you chose.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Here is my 1982 Columbia made in Worksop frame which I bought from H.O. Smith and Sons of Doncaster (since closed when the owner, Bob Read, died suddenly in the 1990's). I have been adding parts over the years trying to keep it contemporary. As the rear dropouts are Suntour I went for Suntour derailleurs aRx front and Vx rear with Powershifter changers.
The frame is showing it's age but I still it. 22 miles day before yesterday and 14 today nipping out for some theatre tickets. :becool:

Worksop Columbia England.jpg 03092010100.jpg 03092010098.jpg 03092010103.jpg 03092010102.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
Here is my 1982 Columbia made in Worksop frame which I bought from H.O. Smith and Sons of Doncaster (since closed when the owner, Bob Read, died suddenly in the 1990's). I have been adding parts over the years trying to keep it contemporary. As the rear dropouts are Suntour I went for Suntour derailleurs aRx front and Vx rear with Powershifter changers.
The frame is showing it's age but I still it. 22 miles day before yesterday and 14 today nipping out for some theatre tickets. :becool:

[attachment=748:Worksop Columbia England.jpg][attachment=747:03092010100.jpg][attachment=744:03092010098.jpg][attachment=745: 03092010103.jpg][attachment=746:03092010102.jpg]

That's nice!
The stem shifters would scare me though.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
That's nice!
The stem shifters would scare me though.

I thought the same after reading this on Sheldon's site "Stem shifters also present a danger in a collision. Depending on what gear you have selected, stem shifters can be like having a dull knife aimed at your groin!". But I feel safe enough so far :whistle: . I might look for some barcons :tongue: .

PpPete

Legendary Member
I thought the same after reading this on Sheldon's site "Stem shifters also present a danger in a collision. Depending on what gear you have selected, stem shifters can be like having a dull knife aimed at your groin!". But I feel safe enough so far :whistle: . I might look for some barcons :tongue: .

That's the comment I was thinking of... couldnt remember where I'd seen it.
To be fair - the only groin injury I've actually witnessed perdonally was a guy hitting a modern a-headset (on a bike with STI shifters). Much less dangerous in theory. His (new) GF skidded & came off right in front of him, he ran over her leg. My, how we laughed.

Ben M

The tandem with new brakes, racks, handlebars, sti shifters, tyre, saddles. It's soon to have another new pilot's saddle to match the rear, and a new rear tyre to match the front.

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1670.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1670.jpg
    DSCN1670.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom