Show us your steel.....its real...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
A couple more bits of steel. Ill dig out some better ones when i get a chance to wade through the mound of CDs and DVDs next to my Mac.

1975 Carlton Corsa, 22" frame 5-speed with a few mods.
P3240357.jpg

1975 Carlton Corsa 23" mostly bog standard.
CORSA23MONTAGE.jpg

Carlton Corsa, c1968-72 in polychromatic mauve - love this colour, this is my usual ride for getting about on Dartmoor.
MUAVECORSAFORKS.jpg

Goldie

Über Member
Just lovely. Bid (and missed out) on a Corsa in the same green colour scheme a few weeks ago. I have a Carlton Circuit - not as nice, and from a few years later, when pressure was obviously on to cut costs - lurking in the cellar, waiting for its turn in the shining, polishing and fettling queue. I really love Carltons, not least because of the incongruity of these incredibly glamorous machines being knocked out in Worksop. Kind of like finding out that Lou Reed lives in the two uo two down next door to you.

Spokesmann

Goldie said:
Just lovely. Bid (and missed out) on a Corsa in the same green colour scheme a few weeks ago. I have a Carlton Circuit - not as nice, and from a few years later, when pressure was obviously on to cut costs - lurking in the cellar, waiting for its turn in the shining, polishing and fettling queue. I really love Carltons, not least because of the incongruity of these incredibly glamorous machines being knocked out in Worksop. Kind of like finding out that Lou Reed lives in the two uo two down next door to you.

Excellent way of putting it!

Things were not quite a nice as they used to be post 1975 (the year both green Corsas date from), Raleigh were staring to rationalise and name badge everything. I have a Pro Am 12 - albeit in bits but that'll be going soon, not my cup of tea and no longer a Carlton in my view.

Goldie

Über Member
Goldie said:
Made from left over bits of armour plate, this Dawes leaves a dent in the road wherever it goes and looks oddly like it has been wrapped in brown parcel tape and then left in a canal to mature for a couple of decades. It is chock full of lovely details, like the enamel head badge, Huret gear shifter and GB Coureur alloy brakes. Alright, enough talk - here it is:

DSC02343.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

DSC02350.jpg

I'm going to have a go at cleaning it this evening and see what comes out...

Just been out for first ride on this and it's a chuffin revelation! It is surprisingly fast and although I can see it's got little top up nipples to allow the bottom bearing and headset to be oiled and I can equally see that they have not been opened since Lennon and McCartney were still getting on, it runs like a swiss watch. The Huret gear shifter is great, because I can change both cogs with my right hand. The GB Coureur brakes stop all two tons of brummie metal on the button and the long stem means it's just the right size for me. All at once, I understand why Dawes tourers get props.

Spokesmann

Love the detailing on it. Thought and care went into even the most mundane cycles then. Grease nipple on the headstock is useful. The GB Courier 66 centre pull dating from c1961 are still good stoppers today, with the right B blocks. I use them on my Flyer.

Thanks for sharing!

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Am sure I've posted on this thread before...but as I can't find my pics, and have recently acquired a new, shiny, steel bike (which weighs less than some carbon bikes :biggrin: ) thought I'd add to it.

Terry, my recent acquisition:
Bikes003.jpg

Bikes006.jpg

Bikes011.jpg

Poppy, classic Audax styling:
Bikes002.jpg

Bikes001.jpg

Betty, now seven years old and still trundling happily:
Bikes004.jpg

Bikes003-1.jpg

Goldie

Über Member
Really like that Kona Baggy.

It is yummy. Could I have the Pearson please? No need to thank me, just leave it by my back door and I will dispose of it. :rolleyes:

My incredibly ratty Dawes has come out of the other side of a ton of cleaning and polishing. It's never going to look young until some lovely fresh paint gets laid on, but it has truned out to be s surprising and beautiful aquamarine blue:

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

It is also, it turns out, a bit of a speed machine. It isn't that light, but the bearings seem to be pretty much frictionless and the bike really suits me size-wise. The result has been some effortless and very quick rides.

It's on ebay now, but I'll be very sad to see it go - I'm nearly sure I'm selling the wrong bike.

ShannonBall

Über Member
Here's my Swinnerton, Bob Jackson Audux Club and Surly Steamroller - made of 531, 621 and 4130 respectively.

Attachments

• Swinnerton.jpg
    Swinnerton.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 196
  • BJ.jpg
    BJ.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 245
  • Steamroller.jpg
    Steamroller.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 232
Top Bottom