Silly STRAVA Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

Thought I'd have a Strava-less ride home today, weights night tonight ;) Although yes it was nice and chilled, I was mildly vexed with the recent southerly headwind being significantly less; and wouldn't you know it, had a fantastic run of lights and less congestion than usual! Damn.

Strava's a real ride-changer. Just knowing it's there whirring away in the background is motivation enough to work the pistons. Almost like a work boss looking over your shoulder as you work: without this you'd maybe check Cyclechat, send an email or two and pace yourself accordingly. With the knowledge they're lurking, you work fast and as diligently as possible.

Whilst I enjoyed not having the pressure of Mr Strava whirring away in my rucksack's back pocket, I really missed the buzz of knowing a segment's approaching, assessing the situation and gearing myself up to go for the leaderboard!

You hit the nail on the head there. I was out for a 30 minute lunch ride today and knew I was going to post the time, so I put a bit more effort in. Came in in 21 mins. I shaved a THIRD off my usual time, and I felt like I had had a decent workout. Got to find a longer lunch ride now!

And of course, to the detractors in the US currently suing Strava for the death of that 41yo male who did himself in trying to regain a KOM place, I was sensible enough not to overtake a slow motorbike going down from Chapel (I totally could have though, and he knew it!).

potsy

Rambler
Got mt first KOM tonight :dance: who cares if there are only 4 people on the leaderboard? :whistle:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Ahhh, it does lag sometimes while it builds the leaderboard. Happened to me a cpl of weeks ago when I created a new segment and was sure I was KOM. A few minutes later I was knocked off top spot, as other historical rides were added to it...

Crimmey

Ive already flagged that Noel d00d up once and he's at it again. He's nicking my KOM! :P I give up.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Two Segments are out of action for a while....

Didsbury Road from Parrs Wood and Stockport Road West climb, the council have sprayed the road with a 'topcoat' of loose fine chippings, and it's a nightmare.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Well inspired by scoping my potential KOM on my forth coming Holiday I created a one from my last holiday jaunt in eager anticipation of a position (well rather hoping it was going to be just me) and I had not given it much thought as I would have been with my eldest to teach how to ride on the road! http://app.strava.com/segments/2029779 10th place!!

Out of 10 lol Decided not create anymore

400bhp

Guru
Well inspired by scoping my potential KOM on my forth coming Holiday I created a one from my last holiday jaunt in eager anticipation of a position (well rather hoping it was going to be just me) and I had not given it much thought as I would have been with my eldest to teach how to ride on the road! http://app.strava.com/segments/2029779 10th place!!

Out of 10 lol Decided not create anymore

Blimey - the opera singer is in 1st:whistle:

Top Bottom