Sinead O'Connor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A chap in my street has depression, I am concerned for him.

I don't know Sinead O'Connor, she's not a friend of mine.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I had a real shock last week. My best friend of many years went on Facebook to publicly declare he has suffered from a debilitating Bipolar condition for decades! This is something he hid very well from everyone as nobody I've spoken to who knows him was aware of this at all.

His wife told me she can't put up with him but is guilt-tripped into staying with him as he's promised to kill himself if she leaves.

He told me on a long day out fishing off the Fylde Coast last week that he is on so much medication, he's uncharacteristically piled loads and loads of weight on and has given up his running - the sport where I made his acquaintance back in 1988.

He does have lots of friends though and all are standing by him so that's going to help but he's told me when he's in the troughs of despondency, he can choose to remain in blissful ignorance of that! And that's the risky time because he lets his depression snowball and gather momentum. He hasn't worked since the redundancy that killed off all his ambitions back in the 90s and let's his poor wife bear the brunt of this situation emotionally and financially.

To me, it's one of those situations where I think if it can happen to him, who seemed mentally well on the surface, it must be much deeper than I'd have considered possible.
I am glad you are thinking of your friend and not wasting time being concerned about a celebrity that you don't know and will never meet.
I wish you well.

I remember her for all this stuff.....female Abu Hamza type..preaching hate..
but she can blame it all on Bipolar or whatever suits..

http://www.contactmusic.com/sinead-oconnor/news/sinead-oconnor-takes-back-pro-ira-comments
The contactmusic.com Link said:
Irish singer Sinead O'connor admits the pro IRA (Irish Republic Army) comments she made during the early part of her career were based on nonsense.

The NOTHING COMPARES 2 U star now knows she was too young to understand the tense situation in Northern Ireland properly and brands her statements supporting the actions of the terrorist group "really s**t, really awful".

I didn't know that being Bipolar made you apologise for the things you've said in the past?

subaqua

What’s the point
There are no gay penguins in the Arctic . But there are bi polar bears.

1 in 4 have mental health problems. 3 in 4 of those that do don't know it.

I know when the black dog is coming for me. It's not nice knowing though. We all deal with it differently . I use humour to deflect things. It just gets a bit darker while I try and outrun him.

Lonestar

Veteran
She's lucky...I could go missing for six months and nobody would notice.:dry:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There are no gay penguins in the Arctic . But there are bi polar bears.

1 in 4 have mental health problems. 3 in 4 of those that do don't know it.

I know when the black dog is coming for me. It's not nice knowing though. We all deal with it differently . I use humour to deflect things. It just gets a bit darker while I try and outrun him.
Running. I literally outrun the bar steward. And when that doesn't work I hit the bike and go faster and further.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I had a real shock last week. My best friend of many years went on Facebook to publicly declare he has suffered from a debilitating Bipolar condition for decades! This is something he hid very well from everyone as nobody I've spoken to who knows him was aware of this at all.

His wife told me she can't put up with him but is guilt-tripped into staying with him as he's promised to kill himself if she leaves.

He told me on a long day out fishing off the Fylde Coast last week that he is on so much medication, he's uncharacteristically piled loads and loads of weight on and has given up his running - the sport where I made his acquaintance back in 1988.

He does have lots of friends though and all are standing by him so that's going to help but he's told me when he's in the troughs of despondency, he can choose to remain in blissful ignorance of that! And that's the risky time because he lets his depression snowball and gather momentum. He hasn't worked since the redundancy that killed off all his ambitions back in the 90s and let's his poor wife bear the brunt of this situation emotionally and financially.

To me, it's one of those situations where I think if it can happen to him, who seemed mentally well on the surface, it must be much deeper than I'd have considered possible.
Sadly it's the ones we love most that bear the brunt and if you've never suffered its hard to understand. I wish your friend well. Good friends are a great support.

subaqua

What’s the point
[QUOTE 4284300, member: 45"]I don't think most of us realise how close we are to tipping over the edge.

A close friend of mine had an episode, from nowhere, a couple of weeks ago. Intelligent, sorted, hard-working family man with no sign of any issues suddenly decided that Jesus was coming back in a couple of days. Was convinced, and convincing. I'll not go into any more detail but it was genuinely terrifying for those close to him. He's back to normal now, but I think that's partly down to the support from his family.

It's worth considering these things next time you look down on a homeless bloke asking for change to get him to a hostel in the next town. He might be intending to buy drugs, but it's possible that not so long ago you'd sat next to him on the train and not be able to distinguish yourself from him.[/QUOTE]

And that's why I always sit down to any of the homeless and ask if they want a sandwich and a coffee and ask how things are. Because one day it might be me and if he/she needs the hostel in the next town then they go in a taxi I have paid for and will travel with them if they want. I won't give money because that opens people up to violence.

But apparently I am a not very nice person according to some.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4284300, member: 45"]I don't think most of us realise how close we are to tipping over the edge.[/QUOTE]
Damn right. I had my first panic/anxiety attack in 30+ years on the Stockholm metro en route to the office a couple of weeks ago. Had to get off the train at the wrong stop, literally dripping with sweat, folk were staring, and I thought I'd pass out before the train stopped.

markharry66

Über Member
My ex had bi polar was capable of anything five children with three different men explains a lot.
I got out had no choice.

Top Bottom