Sinead O'Connor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Interesting. We could, of course, revisit what people said on here when David Bowie died, if we want to remind ourselves how celebrity affects our individual levels of caring about others, and what others think of us.
If you are suggesting that my approach is not consistent...read for yourself.
Its understandable but keep in mind you don't have to like a person to feel sympathy for their passing.

I do, personally find this very shocking but as it seems that the man lived his life in an odd mix of glaring, strutting stardom and graceful modesty, I hope that the press and the nation respect his families privacy, in the same way that he did, during this time of greif.

His family, who are not famous, and chose a different life, owe the nation nothing and shouldn't feel pressure to open up their lives to satisfy the press desire to be first in line.

A national icon, a cultural phenomenon, a talent, a bloke...and for me as it turns out...a neighbour. May his work.live on for many years.

no I'm not. I'm making the assumption that she would treat me like any other person, as I would her...
How is that different from what I said?
she is just a person, her celebrity "status" affords her no additional level of empathy.
I agree, I don't know what makes you think that I feel otherwise.
iand pandering to it just perpetuates this.
I am not pandering to anything.

Fair enough on the first point. Regards the second and third, I was answering in general here, not specifically pointing at you... no offence intended.
You were quoting me and then placing your answers directly below what, why would anybody think that you were doing anything but specifically pointing at me?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
You were quoting me and then placing your answers directly below what, why would anybody think that you were doing anything but specifically pointing at me?
That's just how threads work I'm afraid. Sometimes someone raises a point that deserves an answer, to a wider audience. As @Markymark found in this very same thread. It appeared as if he was accusing me of mocking O'Connor, evidently he was commenting in general, within a reply to me. I took no offence as his comment about mockery was a valid one

Like I say, no offence Intended. I am not accusing you of pandering to the media...more this entire thread and millions like it, all professing to care about a stranger when people we know and love are ignored, because helping them doesn't gain any "likes"

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This is the empty bullshit that puts people's backs up. How do you know how many of us are supporting and caring for people who are vulnerable? Or is it a guilty conscience because you're ignoring someone?
I think that reply says more about you than anything else.

Firstly, who are people?...is this some club that I am not invited to?. Forgive me I thought this was just the internet.

It would appear, as some "people" have liked my comments that the "people " that you are referring to are very specific,

why do you seem so sensitive in assuming that my complaint about social media in general is focussed only on you and your people.

That's just how threads work I'm afraid.
Only if you don't understand how quoting works.
Sometimes someone raises a point that deserves an answer, to a wider audience. As @Markymark found in this very same thread. It appeared as if he was accusing me of mocking O'Connor, evidently he was commenting in general, within a reply to me. I took no offence as his comment about mockery was a valid on
So, starting the reply with "generally speaking" might be in order then?
Like I say, no offence Intended. I am not accusing you of pandering to the media...more this entire thread and millions like it, all professing to care about a stranger when people we know and love are ignored, because helping them doesn't gain any "likes"
Well, you must be accusing somebody, so who is it / are they? Who do you accuse of neglecting their nearest and dearest in order to put their time into gaining internet 'likes' on forums such as these?

RedRider

Pulling through
Why get one's knickers in a twist and waste time being concerned about people wasting time being concerned @jonny jeez ?
Given there's still a lot of stigma around mental illness, people including perhaps the man in your street, may feel a little comradeship with the celebrity and get some comfort from the fact that people express sympathy for her. Many a campaign around mental health and stigma has highlighted how famous people also experience these illnesses. I've personally found comfort in knowing this.
You might have a general downer on the cult of celebrity but it's not best expressed on this thread imo.

Top Bottom