Smoke me a kipper . . .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well done that man - braving the bats (in their cars that can't see in the dark...) and the assorted stuff that happens in the twilight hour - sound like fun!:biggrin:
Lionel Ritchie sang a song about you I believe - "All Night Longers":biggrin:

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Ok, back home now. I didn't ride back :sad: I spent the day chainsawing and splitting logs and was a bit knackered.

The ride was fantastic :thumbsup:.
The built up areas at the start were very interesting to ride through at that time of night, no trouble at all but plenty of funny looks and one wolf whistle.
The unlit roads - of which there were plenty - were wonderful with my Ay-Ups. There were plenty of surprised sheep, rabbits and owls for company.
I also had Goo Mason for company as I listened to a couple of his Podcasts along the way - cheers Goo :smile:

I stopped at the top of the Trough for my jam butties and took this photo at 3 am of the plaques:-

8zef6p.jpg

It was very dark! and very wonderful to be out in the middle of nowhere by myself. I saw just one car in about 2 1/2 hours.

I took a spin round lancaster and went to see if the lights were on the bridge, sadly not but it still looked gorgeous. A tripod was needed though as these photo's don't do it justice. The night was so still it didn't ruffle the water at all (or give me an inkling of a headwind at any point).

igl24y.jpg

2qkie15.jpg

I got rid of Goo and put the I-pod on random and danced with my shadow along the cyclepath into Morecambe :biggrin: There had been plenty of no-handed dancing in the dark along the way :biggrin:

The sun came up on a beautiful day when I got to M/C:-

2ly2vpw.jpg

This is the smartest hotel in town, very nice to see it brought back to life after being at risk of disappearing:-

fc83r.jpg

This is the view from the terrace of the smartest hotel in town :evil: It maybe needs some work. There used to be a dolphin kept on here :sad: (Freddy I think he was called).

23vhssn.jpg

I bumped into this chap:-

153s9eh.jpg

Time for a another quick photo of the beautiful morning:-

k1ux39.jpg

Then it was off to surprise my folks, I knew they were up early so got there for half 6. They were pleasantly surprised to say the least. I was lucky that they had stocked up for other friends of theirs and I was able to demolish a pack of bacon and a loaf of bread - no kippers though.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur between snoozing and eating before I came awake for my tea and a couple of beers.

Great ride, one of the best this year and I'm now thinking of finding a route to the east coast for next year :wacko:

Eat them out of the jar Crock - mind the little wooden spear within...:becool:

User1314 said:
Talking about fish.

Anyone know any spicy receipes for pickled rollmop herrings?

In fact, can they be eaten raw or do they need cooking?

Lidl were doing them £1 odd a jar and I picked some up.

Here's one to be going on with! Eat raw, too.
Excellent with new potatoes boiled with fresh dill, some flat (Ryvita) bread, cold beer (lager) and lots of ice-cold akvavit.

Pickled herring
(inlagd sill)
4–6 servings

4 pre-soaked herring filets
150 ml (¾ cup) water
5 tbs distilled white vinegar (12%)
85 g (3 ¼ oz) sugar
1 red onion
10 whole allspice
1 bay leaf

Preparation
To make this marinated herring dish, mix water, vinegar and sugar, boil for a few minutes in a saucepan and let the marinade cool. Cut the pre-soaked filets into pieces 2 cm (¾ in) wide, peel and slice the onion, and crush the allspice. Alternate pieces of herring with onion inside a jar, insert the bay leaf and pour the marinade on top. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, preferably for a week.

Top Bottom