Snippets of a conversation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
i love being nosey and hearing just a few lines a conversation!
Cheers Ed

yello

I do like hearing such things. Robbed of a relevant context, they can sound bizzare but I enjoy them for what they are; just a glimpse of a much richer interaction. Suggestive of a history and intimacy that you can only guess at.

young Ed

Veteran
being a teenager that doesn't quite fit the norm and stereotypical teenager i find it fascinating what other teens get up to after school and at the week ends :tongue:
also they hope to drive these super cars that cost hundreds of thousands of pounds where as i hope to drive
ferguson1.jpg
:tongue:
Cheers Ed

yello

Customer: I have never watched Coronation Street. When it started up there was no electricity in our village.

Wow, that is a snippet that could shake your assumptions! It takes you some place else, exactly the sort of thing I love.

Why did you giggle? I'm interested , not critical BTW.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
being a teenager that doesn't quite fit the norm and stereotypical teenager i find it fascinating what other teens get up to after school and at the week ends :tongue:
also they hope to drive these super cars that cost hundreds of thousands of pounds where as i hope to drive
ferguson1.jpg
:tongue:
Cheers Ed
My grandparents had one of those, and it was the first thing I drove.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Wow, that is a snippet that could shake your assumptions! It takes you some place else, exactly the sort of thing I love.

Why did you giggle? I'm interested , not critical BTW.

I suppose I thought it was slightly amusing that "Coronation Street" started, I am guessing, in the early sixties of last century, and at any time over the past fifty years, she could have "joined in" if she wished. Then the more you try not to giggle the worse it gets, :blush: so I pretended to have a slight coughing episode.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My favorite overheard snippet of conversation was from when I was working at Norwich Union, in the sales department of NU Direct. I was walking through the office and heading for lunch at the time.

Telesales girl: Any medical conditions that are DVLA notifiable?
Customer: (well I couldn't hear but that's when they were talking to the lady)
Telesales girl: Oh, so is he blind in one eye or both of them then?

I have often wondered where that conversation was going.

yello

at any time over the past fifty years, she could have "joined in" if she wished

Yes, I can see how that could amuse someone. It paints another possible scenario.

That's why I like overhearing snippets; you fill in the missing bits based on your own suppositions & experiences etc. You'll probably never know if the picture you paint is real or not, but it reminds you that there are many possibilities. :smile:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
did it have the heaviest steering you have ever experienced? :tongue:
Cheers Ed
It's so long ago I can't remember and I'd have been in my early teens. I stood to inherit it, but recently my dad told me that he had sold it years ago. It used to live in a tumble down house on a piece of farmland my Dad owns in Co Tyrone, the sort of building where the animals had one room and the farmers a kitchen and bedroom, last lived in in the 1930's.

classic33

Leg End Member
did it have the heaviest steering you have ever experienced? :tongue:
Cheers Ed
It's so long ago I can't remember and I'd have been in my early teens. I stood to inherit it, but recently my dad told me that he had sold it years ago. It used to live in a tumble down house on a piece of farmland my Dad owns in Co Tyrone, the sort of building where the animals had one room and the farmers a kitchen and bedroom, last lived in in the 1930's.
Could have been a 35. Unless it was grey.

Top Bottom