So called "Cycleways"....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jsstbs

I have just returned from a meeting about a proposed local "cycleway" and need a rant.

The proposal s for a "cycleway" parallel to a reasonably busy rural B road between two villages. Currently there is no specific provision for cyclists on this road, who have to join the main traffic.

Local farmers have expressed concern about the safety of cycleway users at field entrances. The solution decided upon by the committee - put chicanes on the cycleway to slow cyclists down at every single "dangerous" field access point (an average of one per 370 metres).

I pointed out that this would deter a great number of cyclists since it increases journey time, increases physical effort required per journey and risks damage to bikes. I was told that this "cycleway" was being designed "for families" and it was unreasonable of my to expect that the cycleway should be of use to cyclists. The primary aim was is encourage people to cycle, not to provide a safe and usable route for all cyclists.

There will only be adequate and safe provision of cycling facilities in this country when it is recognised by those deisgning so called "cycleways" (the clue is in the name) that bikes are not childrens toys but a viable transport method, and cycle facilities are designed with cyclists in mind.

Amazing, no wonder we're never going to get much in the way of 'sensible' infrastructure. What chance have we got with idiots making the decisions.

Davidc

Guru
Situation normal. Much of the most recent, expensive, cycling infrastructure round here isn't just unusable, it's actively dangerous.

oldstrath

Über Member
We have exactly the same up here - the 'cyclepath' between Kingussie and Newtonmore is hilariously awful - field exits (and consequent mud), three right hand turns in the space of 50 metres, poorly maintained, and using it requires crossing the road it parallels, at an essentially blind bend. Still get the usual fat chuffs moaning about 'you should be on the cyclepath' (language deleted to keep the board clean). Trouble is that the few local worthies who cycle think it is wonderful, because they imagine their (grand-)children are safe on this thing. They may be wrong, but the practical demonstration of their wrongness is clearly undesirable.

Sara_H

Guru
There was a similar comment made at a local government meeting in Sheffield, where concern had been expressed about the quality of some off road cycle provision, response being that proper cyclists could just use the road.

e-rider

crappy member
I have just returned from a meeting about a proposed local "cycleway" and need a rant.

The proposal s for a "cycleway" parallel to a reasonably busy rural B road between two villages. Currently there is no specific provision for cyclists on this road, who have to join the main traffic.

Local farmers have expressed concern about the safety of cycleway users at field entrances. The solution decided upon by the committee - put chicanes on the cycleway to slow cyclists down at every single "dangerous" field access point (an average of one per 370 metres).

I pointed out that this would deter a great number of cyclists since it increases journey time, increases physical effort required per journey and risks damage to bikes. I was told that this "cycleway" was being designed "for families" and it was unreasonable of my to expect that the cycleway should be of use to cyclists. The primary aim was is encourage people to cycle, not to provide a safe and usable route for all cyclists.

There will only be adequate and safe provision of cycling facilities in this country when it is recognised by those deisgning so called "cycleways" (the clue is in the name) that bikes are not childrens toys but a viable transport method, and cycle facilities are designed with cyclists in mind.
I have a number of 'cycleways' near me and all them them are not useable at all for transporting my children in the trailer as the 'barriers' that are put up all along the route are too narrow for the kids trailer, and often there is no way around them. So, if cycleways are being designed for families but are not suitable for children's trailers/trailer bikes then who are they for?

e-rider

crappy member
There was a similar comment made at a local government meeting in Sheffield, where concern had been expressed about the quality of some off road cycle provision, response being that proper cyclists could just use the road.
yes, and when you use the road near a cycle lane, abuse comes from other road users! I think there is no hope for cycleway provision in this country, at least within the next couple of decades. The attitude is completely wrong at all levels. I read an interesting 'whistle-blowing report' on the web about how one group of council cycle way planners, were completely against cycling and didn't cycle themselves, and only got the jobs because they had town planning degrees! Sums it up really.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jsstbs

Thanks for the comments, guys. I sat in the meeting with everyone else round the table looking round the table at me as though I was insane! Sara H - I think your comment on planners not being cyclists is spot on. The guy who's designed this (who is out County Council planner) has said that he would like to ban cyclists from roads where there is a cycleway available - presumably this is because he can't design a well laid out or safe enough cycleway to lure cyclists off the road. He also stated that his (presumably self appointed) success criteria is to get half of cyclists" to use the track or to "get a granny who doesn't leave her house to walk half a mile down the cycleway". Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It frustrates me so much, because chicanes are just a knee jerk reaction and don't solve the problem - a cyclist squashed at low speed is as bad as a cyclist squashed at high speed.

OP
OP
J

jsstbs

Could I ask peoples opinion on Sustrans? There was supposed to be representation from Sustrans at this meeting (although the rep didn't turn up, which maybe says something). Sustrans state that they exist to promote cycling (along with walking etc) as a mode of transport, but if they obviously haven't been doing this in this case. I have heard a lot a complaints about them not actually being for (let alone representing cyclists) and I have to say that this experience has made me minded to agree with such comments.

SWSteve

Guru
Could I ask peoples opinion on Sustrans? There was supposed to be representation from Sustrans at this meeting (although the rep didn't turn up, which maybe says something). Sustrans state that they exist to promote cycling (along with walking etc) as a mode of transport, but if they obviously haven't been doing this in this case. I have heard a lot a complaints about them not actually being for (let alone representing cyclists) and I have to say that this experience has made me minded to agree with such comments.

I have no experience of SUSTRANS people, but they have made two wonderful paths on the old railway lines in Bath. When cycling home from Bath once some SUSTRANS people tried to get me to stop, I didn't have time so said no and continued.

edit: I've never spoken to one at length which is why I say I have no experience of them.

You could try contacting Sustrans to see why someone hadn't turned up. As a lot of the work is done by volunteers, then how much effect Sustrans can have on things local to you, will depend upon if there is anyone nearby who has taken an interest, and is prepared to engage with councils and landowners. Here in Luton & Dunstable, where I'm a volunteer, they are very active and the local councils do generally engage with Sustrans at the early stages for most developments, meaning we can have a positive influence, and try to alter things to properly take into account cyclists' needs.

OP
OP
J

jsstbs

This was my first meeting because all meetings held about the "cycleway" (bar the public consultation evening they held) are private meetings. They are not advertised and there is no way of a member of the public knowing that they are happening. I was only aware of this one as someone else at work (in a semi-official capacity) didn't want to go these meetings anymore and let me know about it instead.

As for joining Sustrans, my research this evening tells me that whilst you might be able to pay them some money, they don't in fact offer membership, their boards are self appointed and there is no way for you to influence their policies. This appears to be reflected by the fact that you can't "join", or "become a member" of Sustrans, you can only Donate. I'm not sure what the benefits are of giving money to an organisation when I then have no say whatsoever in what this money is used to do! (Not having a go at you here just reporting back on how things appear to be).

This was my first meeting because all meetings held about the "cycleway" (bar the public consultation evening they held) are private meetings. They are not advertised and there is no way of a member of the public knowing that they are happening. I was only aware of this one as someone else at work (in a semi-official capacity) didn't want to go these meetings anymore and let me know about it instead.

As for joining Sustrans, my research this evening tells me that whilst you might be able to pay them some money, they don't in fact offer membership, their boards are self appointed and there is no way for you to influence their policies. This appears to be reflected by the fact that you can't "join", or "become a member" of Sustrans, you can only Donate. I'm not sure what the benefits are of giving money to an organisation when I then have no say whatsoever in what this money is used to do! (Not having a go at you here just reporting back on how things appear to be).

Have you actually looked at the Sustrans web site? There's a big link for "Volunteer" - then click on "Get involved". Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom