So farewell Captain Pugwash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
...cue the "Roger the Cabin Boy" (mass) debate :angry:

Shame... I have happy memories of Pugwash and telly from those days generally. :biggrin:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I suspect some Stalinist erasing of history. I definitely remember a Seaman Staines. I wondered why one of the pirates was a master and the other was a seaman.

May John Ryan rest in peace. His creations will live on.

Perhaps the obituary in the Telegraph will carry sufficient authority to nail the scurrilous slur which has been repeated above:
In 1991 Ryan won libel damages from two newspapers after they had published stories that the BBC had taken Captain Pugwash off the air because of the risqué names of some of the crew aboard the Black Pig, namely Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. In fact, these were names dreamed up by students in the 1970s for university “rag mags”, and which had somehow managed to pass into the realms of urban myth.
This is perhaps not the time to perpetuate a libel on a decent person who has passed on and can no longer answer for himself. :biggrin:

Hmmmmm.....

In my schooldays, Enid Blyton was suffering similar sexual innuendos concerning her characters (word was around among us kids, that Noddy was banned from public libraries for this very reason). Maybe. Maybe not. But not 'cool'. Incidentally, I never could stand Enid Blyton, but I wouldn't wish that on her.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I used to love the theme tune to Sir Prancealot.:biggrin:
*Don't suppose anyone has it on MP3?*

With Ryan and Postgate gone it seems the world of Kid's TV is a shallower and colder place.

OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yellow Fang said:
I suspect some Stalinist erasing of history. I definitely remember a Seaman Staines. I wondered why one of the pirates was a master and the other was a seaman.

Because, nitwit, ships' crews have different ranks in them. You couldn't have all masters, or all seamen, any more than you could have all captains.

Top Bottom