So, this Ditchling Beacon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just been up it in the p*ssing rain. The road surface is a bit ropey on the left hand side. I hope the prospect of the L2B will encourage them to resurface it.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Its a lot easier the second time around, as by then you'll already know you can do it. The trick is to know that the first time up too.

Oh, and for the record, I've seen ILB have to abort a ride after climbing ditchling, and only once up too. Ok, so he managed to struggle on for a teeny bit afterwards, but I reckon it was ditchling that did him ;)

https://www.cyclechat.net/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As said previously Wayne.
Don't worry about it. No point, as the sheer amount of walkers on the road will mean that you wont be able to cycle up anyway.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

ianrauk said:
As said previously Wayne.
Don't worry about it. No point, as the sheer amount of walkers on the road will mean that you wont be able to cycle up anyway.

Once again, you did say "walkers" didn't you?

Tynan

Veteran
I've just managed it twice and found it very strenuous both times

But I was 15st and 17st with pannier and commuting in London isn;t much training for hills

It's hard but dtermination and some basic fitness will get you up, the last time onlt the sight of girls on commuter junkers on one of the FNRTTCs kept me going

Watching the likes of will doing it three times and the chaps on fixies cruising up is quite the humbling eye opener

Madcyclist

Excellent

ianrauk said:
CycleChat's very own Arallsop climbing the Beacon on the Martlets ride in march. Here. On his Bent, one handed (the other hand holding the video recorder).. Beacon starts at 3:56

Excellent video, I'm looking forward to joining in on some of these rides when I return after my tour, Ditchling Beacon looks like it would be fun on the fixed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Madcyclist said:
Excellent video, I'm looking forward to joining in on some of these rides when I return after my tour, Ditchling Beacon looks like it would be fun on the fixed.

I used to do it on 42 x 15 (73"??) and found it quite a grunt!
But then I used to smoke 20 Old Holborn a day too...

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Well, did it in one! Just fixed my eyes on the back wheel of the dude in front (thank you, you'll never know how much you helped). Only had to shout WALKERS KEEP LEFT!!! once, and in some places I wasn't going much faster than the walkers, but got to the top in one go.

Got quite emotional I don't mind admitting. I think I'd set it up in my mind it was going to be tough, but beat it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nice one. Told you it wasn't that bad didn't we?

HeyWayne said:
Well, did it in one! Just fixed my eyes on the back wheel of the dude in front (thank you, you'll never know how much you helped). Only had to shout WALKERS KEEP LEFT!!! once, and in some places I wasn't going much faster than the walkers, but got to the top in one go.

Got quite emotional I don't mind admitting. I think I'd set it up in my mind it was going to be tough, but beat it.

Top Bottom