some photo's of todays ride with colinj

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
todays ride with colinj, i was on my fixie. i did 52 hilly miles and i think colinj did 23 miles. an excellent day, glorious and only had a headwind for the last 8 or so miles.

got fed up trying to get piccies up (never struggled before)

here's the link......

piccy link

Come on, 'fess up, you two just stood in the one place all day :biggrin:

Looks beautiful by the way :smile:

Edit - Just added you on Flickr BTW :smile:

potsy

Rambler
I was thinking about it but haven't been on the bike for nearly 2 weeks and have come back from my holiday slightly overweight :tongue:
Did a little ride on the TPT to ease myself back in, 14 flat as a flute miles :biggrin:

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
How did you lose that much weight lying around on a beach! :thumbsup:

LOL
biggrin.gif

Good set of pics, love the Jawbones dude :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Shaun is right about the views from the lanes up there! Funnily enough, I'd never really worked out why you can see so far but his 'top of the world' remark intrigued me. I know that the photo was taken at an elevation of about 335 m (1,100 ft) but there are hills 100 m (330 ft) higher in the area so why is the view so special to the north-east?

I fired up my mapping software and discovered the answer! It may not be the highest local point but it is the highest point for 53 miles in a NE direction! The Pennines are gradually dropping away over Halifax, Bradford, and Leeds to York. You can see 53 miles on a clear day like the one we had for our ride!

The Drax power station near Goole is 65 km away (40.5 miles) and it was very obvious in the distance.

Have a look at the map and profile below. (The profile is taken along the red line on the map.)

great-view-to-ne.gif

I bet there aren't many places in England where you can see for 53 miles!

Hmm, I've had a rethink about this - I hadn't allowed for the curvature of the earth! The horizon for an elevation of 335 metres is about 65 km away which happens to be how far Drax is from that hill. I could see the tops of the cooling towers and only just see the bottoms of them so that is about right.

I'm pretty sure that I would have been able to see Birdsall Brow (the hills NE of York on the way to Filey) too but I don't think I'd see the flat countryside between York and the hills. I reckon I'd be able to see York Minster with a pair of binoculars. I'll have to take mine up there on a bright, clear, sunny day to check.

Top Bottom