Someone recommend me a tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOB

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme.

si_c

Guru
Regularly go down gravelly or loose surfaced tracks on 23mm rubinos. It's fine provided you don't grip the bars like a banshee.

If you've got the clearance though, I'd go 32mm width.

OP
OP
K

Karlt

[warning - contains graphic descriptions of traumatic bike death that may upset some readers]

Took the Eclipse up the TPT today on its 25mm. It felt a bit odd ridewise but I'd not ridden it for a couple of weeks so put it down to that; this bike has a tendency for the headset to loosen but it wasn't the case this time. Had to carry it over a muddy bit but it rode well on the very slight downhill , 18-20mph. It was when I stopped to clean some mud from under the mudguard that I noticed [those of a sensitive disposition turn away now] that the seat tube had parted company with the bottom bracket housing.

I nursed it the rest of the way (10 miles) - it felt a bit like a cheap full sus from Argos*, with the "give" definitely wasting some power ;) It's probably rusted through from inside; this is a thirty year old frame. I fear I can't really justify throwing the money into having it welded back on, given that it's not in great condition (it was like that when I got it sir!) anyway. I'd only recently put new bar tape on as well. I shall rescue the wheels (bargain basement but wheels nonetheless; the rear'd be good for the Turbo and the front will probably end up as a spoke doner) and the shifters (anyone want a 2x8 Claris Road brifter set? Cheap? - or I may keep them in case I end up doing a flat to drop conversion on something)

So that's that really.:sad:

*But still a better ride with a broken frame than a cheap full sus from Argos

Reactions: mjr

si_c

Guru
Ouch. That sucks. Might be worth keeping an eye open for another frame in the same size, and transplanting all the parts over. Going to give my frame a good check tonight :wacko:

Tim Hall

Interesting and well described experience, but does seem somewhat off topic: "Someone recommend me a tyre"; just saying. Was this meant for another thread?
Not OT really, as the bike that died was the subject of the OP and met its end on the very trail that brought about the "what tyre" question in the first place. @Karlt I think you had a lucky escape.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry @Karlt and thank goodness you had to stop and clear the mud! Didn't read carefully enough and make the 'Eclipse' connection. I think if you've got clearance for a 32 then take advantage of the comfort offered balanced against the slight additional weight. But, against Conti 4 Seasons as a standard (I have 28s - the largest width, but they are actually 26s) it's difficult to find a 'good' supple 'road' tyre which can manage (ie allow one to choose to cycle on) gravel tracks like towpaths and rough/resurfaced cycle paths. We've seen a variety of recommendations above but I do think 750+gram Marathon +s are a lot of extra weight to voluntarily carry around unless one needs that sort of robustness at the expense of performance. Or are the Vittoria/Schwalbe/Conti 'commuter/urban' tyre offers not much heavier than the 4S (28s @ 290g)? Should weight matter for the sort of use envisaged? It's forecast to be sunny here on Monday, but not today.

OP
OP
K

Karlt

Will need to find a new bike/frame first ;) Amazingly it hadn't rusted through; it had sheared off at the bottom. But riding it like that may have put stress on the other joints so even if I had access to an economic welder I wouldn't trust the frame. So it's toast.

Top Bottom