Somerset levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyh

Veteran
I'm guessing you would be riding back the same initial route as me jeltz, if so there is a flatter way back out of Wells... I'll look up my gpx file.

OP
OP
Iainj837

Iainj837

Guru
peanut said:
looks good Iain. Hope my post didn't make you change the route.;) Its a great route. Hope its a convenient starting point for everyone.

No your post didn't change route Wells is easier to get to for all concerned :biggrin:
thanks for pointing it out Peanut.
I will find out about the parking in the week, as all the car parks charge on Sundays :blush: but i think the market place may be free but will find out and let you know.

jeltz

Veteran
johnnyh said:
I'm guessing you would be riding back the same initial route as me jeltz, if so there is a flatter way back out of Wells... I'll look up my gpx file.

Thanks but I don't think there is this is My Route back 700ft climb most of it in the 1st 2.5 miles after that its plain sailing.

johnnyh

Veteran
jeltz said:
Thanks but I don't think there is this is My Route back 700ft climb most of it in the 1st 2.5 miles after that its plain sailing.

I see what you mean, the route I have goes out through Croscombe and up through Masbury before linking back up with your route via Binegar.

I'll plot it out and see what climbs it gives, but I can't recall anything too serious although I did ride it late August so it is a little bit of a distant memory. ;) age is a terrible thing! :smile:

peanut

johnnyh said:
http://www.routeyou.com/route/view/175917/cycling-route-wells-to-a39.en

not sure if that link is going to work but it shows the 650 foot climb up to the top but it is gradual and not too bad.

links fine. Difficult to read the climb of the profile though. If you took the direct A39 route bikehike shows that climb to be over 950 feet so its quite a high range of hills across there. ;)

jeltz

Veteran
Thanks Spec I think it may be a little less strenuous but adds 4 miles or so.

Thanks everyone the hill out is tough (for me) but doable with the aid of a banana B) and some glucose. Once I've got the 1st bit done its a nice ride back and the more times I do it the easier it will get. It seems to be the chosen route back from Wells for The Sommer Valley cycling club, and I guess that their members have tried plenty of routes over the years.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
jeltz said:
Thanks Spec I think it may be a little less strenuous but adds 4 miles or so.

Thanks everyone the hill out is tough (for me) but doable with the aid of a banana B) and some glucose. Once I've got the 1st bit done its a nice ride back and the more times I do it the easier it will get. It seems to be the chosen route back from Wells for The Sommer Valley cycling club, and I guess that their members have tried plenty of routes over the years.

I normally do about 20 miles on a Saturday or Sunday around here and that's about a thousand feet of climbing and it does knock it out of me. The main trouble is the mud etc down the lanes at the moment. It took me a couple of hours last saturday to clean the crud off my road bike. Just sent for some mudguards for our hybrids.

I live in Coleford so everyway out and back into the village is up an hill.

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
peanut said:
are you joining us speck ?

Hopefully, so if I do I could give someone a lift to Wells. Last time I picked Iain up but this time he isn't far from the start.

I'll keep an eye on the weather. lovely and sunny this morning, took my Daughters Boxer over the fields and just got back and the Heavens opened. It dryed up so we went into Bath to look at the new shopping centre. Looks better than that 1960's thing down Marchant's Passage lol.

Top Bottom