Sora on the winter bike? worth upgrading?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I bought a boardman (Link)last year as my first bike, did 2k miles then upgraded to a new bike. (New Bike)

as a result the boardmans been in the shed most of the year, and upon pulling it out for a wash and a clean, I can see where last years inexperience in maintence have left it looking a little tired in the chain/ gearing area

I dont want to spend a lot on it , as its going to be for winter use only. Maybe up to £200 if I have to, would like to have a similar feel to the Cube if I can, but I have no experience in sourcing parts/ knowing if the bike would take an upgrade

Thoughts?

400bhp

Guru
Change the chain and cassette first. That'll only cost you about £30 (don't buy a Shimano chain-they are cack). Replace the cables too.

Once you have the chain and cassette off spin the crank and see f it runs smooth. If not change the bottom bracket.

I wouldn't bother changing the brakes or crank and would only do so if absolutely necessary (for a winter bike).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Do what 400bhp suggests above and get it running smoothly. Sora is fine and there's no point upgrading it if you already have a best bike. If you did want to throw some cash at it, personally I'd be tempted to change the chainset, front mech and bb to Shimano. Assuming your Sora is 9speed, then a further upgrade to 10speed would require you to replace pretty much the whole drivetrain. Probably not worth it for a winter bike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Sort out the drivetrain and ride it. sora is good enough to take the punishment of winter without hurting the pocket when it comes the replacing parts.

Top Bottom