Sparassis crispa!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Determined to out-ponce @rich p in the dinner stakes, I have knocked up a cheese n lentil loaf with some fried free mushrooms off the bike path prepared a terrine of red lentils, ramiro peppers and Hafod cheddar, served with a trio of sauteed Gower wild mushrooms and wilted spinach. It was rather good, if I say so myself.

This particular poncery stems from the chance discovery of a Sparassis crispa, aka Cauliflower Fungus, which I spotted whilst riding along the seafront bike path to work a couple of mornings ago.

IMAG0754.jpg

It was still there and in fine fettle yesterday, so I nabbed a slice, and snuffled around for a few additional 'shrooms. I was rewarded with a handful of Amethyst Deceivers (taste of nothing much but look pretty), and a single Saffron Milk Cap (a winner all round).

The Sparassis is a delicious but slightly daunting mushroom, as its convoluted form makes it an ideal home for about 200 varieties of creepy-crawly (thereby putting it off the menu for rich, the big wuss). Anyway, it seems to be a good year for mushrooms, so brace yourselves for some more of this dinner aggrandisement. Aubergines are so last-season.

And show us your 'shrooms, if you are that way inclined...

IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0766.jpg

IMAG0768.jpg

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Out-ponces my bubble and squeak tonight!!!
Let me know when the stomach cramps start:thumbsup:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
That cheese and lentil loaf looks pretty good tc, got a recipe?

Looks great.. I actually quite like amethyst deceivers... Only ever once seen the cauliflower fungus though :sad:

I made up an Iranian dish for our evening meal which was excellent, from the new cookbook I purchased during the week.
Ash-e-Sholeh-Ghalamkar, it is basically herb, bean & wheat soup but it really hit the spot and was even better for me having finally found some where that sold the herb savoury.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
More like a 'Monday Night Dash to the Bog'.

You're braver than me (and I eat almost anything), TC: eating something that might look edible, but certainly looks dodgy.

It's not bravery, it's epistemology. But that's one for P&Lite. The deadliest mushroom looks very ordinary (see below - one of those would easily see off you, rich p, mcginty and crax), and there are all sorts of freaky-looking things that are good to eat. Dinner invitation to follow.

Amanita_phalloides__1h__AACFM14112006_.jpg

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That cheese and lentil loaf looks pretty good tc, got a recipe?

After a fashion. Fry Butter, onions, red peppers (or courgettes), possibly garlic, perhaps thyme. Add red lentils. Stir until tenderish, adding just enough water to stop them sticking/burning. Take off heat, add a dash of cream if you like, some chopped parsley if you have it, a farkload of cheese, pepper, salt if it needs it after all that cheese (probably not), and an egg. Chuck in a buttered tin. More cheese on top. Medium oven for something like an hour. Cool in the tin. You don't need to be precise - the worst that can happen is that it will fall apart a bit.

Top Bottom