specialized bike fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bainy16

i've contacted specialized regarding a bike fitting and the cost is £200 as anybody had one done by them and are they worth that amount of money

vickster

Legendary Member
Cannot speak to the Specialized fit, but aren't you about to drop a chunk of change on a new bike. I'd be expecting some sort of bike fit with the purchase from a pukka LBS (or at least at a reduced rate) :smile:

OP
OP
bainy16

bainy16

Cannot speak to the Specialized fit, but aren't you about to drop a chunk of change on a new bike. I'd be expecting some sort of bike fit with the purchase from a pukka LBS (or at least at a reduced rate) :smile:
yes looking for new bike but was hoping the results from the bike fit could be used for the set up of a new bike......now you have planted a seed maybe wait till i purchase new bike and have the older bike set up free as a part of my purchase well best test the water and see what responce i get about about having a free fitting and both bikes set up correctly:thumbsup:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I've had a specialized bg fit, they are pretty good and ensure you are comfortable on your bike. I either have a bg fit or retul fit when ever I get a new bike... would not go without one now.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know that they'll do it for your old bike - only a new one that you buy from them? I know Corridori in Epsom include a BG fit with a new bike purchase

There are loads of online guides, which are often linked on here, for checking the fit yourself

Be prepared to have to spend money on the bike if the fit suggests changes are needed - stem, bars, cranks etc

Lee_M

Guru
Not had a Specialize fitting - mine was cyclefit, but I do think a fit is well worth having

OP
OP
bainy16

bainy16

I don't know that they'll do it for your old bike - only a new one that you buy from them? I know Corridori in Epsom include a BG fit with a new bike purchase

There are loads of online guides, which are often linked on here, for checking the fit yourself

Be prepared to have to spend money on the bike if the fit suggests changes are needed - stem, bars, cranks etc
tried a few of the simple tips about seat been level tip of saddle to bars been arms length plus hand (not sure how good that bit of advise is)legs not locking out when seated and peddals at the bottom all seems ok when riding just having a little pain in the knee after a ride so now think this could be caused by the cleat position?
was hoping the fit would sort this and improve my riding ability,

vickster

Legendary Member
It may do - may be £200 well spent for you - not sure how it'll improve your riding ability though - more the comfort on the bike

Ningishzidda

Are you going to compete? Club time trials, racing or crit's?
Get a Specialized 'Bikefit' if there is silverware involved. If not, don't.
http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm
This guy puts enough on his website for the casual cyclist to get by with, with the assistance of a mate holding a plastic protractor.

OP
OP
bainy16

bainy16

Are you going to compete? Club time trials, racing or crit's?
Get a Specialized 'Bikefit' if there is silverware involved. If not, don't.
http://www.bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm
This guy puts enough on his website for the casual cyclist to get by with, with the assistance of a mate holding a plastic protractor.
no racing intended just long leisurely rides,club runs and few tours in the Alps each year, great link thanks

S1mon

Specialized for me cost 130 worth every penny was a total novice and was getting pains every where !!!!

Chris-H

Über Member
As Vickster said mate,if your spending a wad on a decent bike then the LBS should offer a fit free of charge.I went to a trek dealer for a fit on an old bike and he told me that when i shop for a new bike to insist on a bike fit as most shops would be happy to oblige as they dont want you spending a decent sum on one of their bikes then tell all your mates how uncomfortable the bike is.I went to collect my Bianchi and got my free bike fit with no problems whatsoever.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
When people are referring to a bike fit, you also have to consider what exactly they mean. Looking at someone on a bike riding up and down the road allows for obvious adjustment but equally has no foundation in science. A true bike fit is based around science and uses technology to review the biomechanics of the specific individual. Without these tools and being filmed at various angles and measured correctly you would not discover my leg length discrepancy or hip rotation.
Imho you will not find a bike fit on a website, your body its biomechanics are specific to you, one size does not fit all..

I have friends who discount bike fitting as being a way for the retailers to make more money, but I can spend the day in the drops without any niggles and after most long rides at least one of them has an ache or twinge.

Phil485

I've got the specialized fit booked in next weds. Will happily share my experiences.
I'm only a novice riding a cheapo trek and I was wondering if I was wasting my cash, but I also have a history of back pain and I had cruciate ligament surgery in sept last year.

It's been good to reinforce that it's worth doing and I'm hoping to get more comfortable on the bike but more importantly be confident that I'm not damaging my body, well anymore than I have too.

Chris-H

Über Member
When i went for my first bike fit it turned out that if i had'nt gone i would've knackered my knees in no time.Although i was very comfy with the exception of reach it turned out my seat was too low,too far forward and my cleat position was wrong.So that was worth the money for me.Also i now know that my seat height from the crank bolt needs to be 80cm and i also now know how to ensure correct seat position fore and aft.So bike fit,worth the money or not.........ABSOLUTELY !!!!

Top Bottom