Specialized Secteur Elite Triple?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I am thinking of getting a drop bar bike, something I have never owned. I took up cycling about 18 months ago and bought a Dawes hybrid. Currently I do 10 mile round-trip commutes in central London traffic five days a week and then a couple of twenties at the weekend. I am sometimes able to do a couple of FNRttCs, and have pootled through Holland on day trips of 65 miles.

I will never be an athlete, and I have no wish to race or go particularly fast, but I would like to try a different bike. Rack mounts are a must, and mudguards are on the wish list ( a slick of dog poo on one's jacket may be heroic, but I got over that badge...)

For a newcomer to drops, do you think a Secteur Elite Triple (2010) might be a reasonable introduction to this? I just want a comfortable introduction to a different type of bike. Yes, it costs a lot of money. My Hamlet cigar fund has remained dormant for a few months and the money is being appropriated, so I do not feel in the least bit guilty.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Thank-you.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I think Im in a position to offer an opinion... :smile:

1.jpg

Firstly, if mudguards are a must then a change of tyre is advisable as the 25mm ones will rub. I spent some time sanding down the inside of my crud rad racers and managed to reduce the rub to acceptable levels, but with the 23mm on there is no rub at all, and no real change in ride comfort that I have noticed.

It also has rack mounts, so you can take your choice of rack, trunk bag and paniers. I got the topeak set as I like the way it all fits together but if you need larger paniers it might be better to get a trunk bag with seperate paniers that will suit your needs.

I dont think I would have liked a full road bike as my first bike, but as yo are already riding then I think you will be OK.

Im confident that the bike will meet your requirements. Here are a few pics of mine.

http://s110.photobuc...s%20and%20Rack/

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like it should fit the bill though I'd suggest you get a test ride 1st to see if drops are for you.
I wasn't sure at first but now wouldn't go back to flat bars.
Like Paul has described racks are no problem, guards are a bit more problematic as you can't get true full ones on there only the cruds or Raceblades that offer some protection but nothing like full ones do.
I'd budget some cash for upgrades too, saddle, tyres and brake pads are the most obvious ones, oh and pedals.

potsy

Rambler
Good stuff Paul. Thanks.:biggrin:

Edit: And potsy too. It was a cross-post

No problem pal, I would have put a picture up too but the state of mine would put you right off them
biggrin.gif

A years worth of commuting duty has taken it's toll a wee bit, plus I don't like cleaning.
blush.gif

ps- mine is only the 'Sport' version but most of the upgrades still apply.

Top Bottom