spin cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

No one has explained the difference to me

U

User33236

No one has explained the difference to me
You can either sit at home, on your jack, with your turbo / excercise bike or go along to a spin session with a structured plan and an instructor pushing you to work harder.

I know an hour session at home dragged* by whereas an hour spin class flew by.

* I now use Bkool at home and time passes quicker ^_^

Firestorm

Veteran
Gym Exercise bikes generally have thick padded saddles , are more upright and the pedals tend to be set a bit further forward than a standard bike.
spin bikes have greater resistance , saddles a cyclist would prefer and geometry
Closer to that of a road bike.
They also have more points of adjustment and better pedals. Short of the high end indoor bikes , the spin bikes are the nearest gym kit to putting your bike on a turbo trainer
I changed gyms the other month for one with watt bikes as well as the standard gym bikes , at least I get 30 odd minutes at lunchtime as close as poosible to cycling.
A number of spin classes I have seen appear to have elements of very low cadence work and things like press ups on the bike, I prefer just to do intervals, so give the classes a miss

OP
OP
Mikesshed

Mikesshed

Thankyou Firestorm, I think that I use my exercise bike in wrong way, tend to make it as hard as I can and got for about 10 mins, have changed set up so I have a longer aerobic workout and get a real sweat on, it's no substitute for road bike but at the mo it's good for rainy days

ozboz

Guru
Spin sessions differ from instructor to instructor , my GF is a spin inst'r , and its quite a hard sesssion , 45 mins long and you know youve done it , ive attended others who are lets say less dynamic , it suits some people , so they can say they go to spin class but as they say , no pain no gain ,quads burning ! ive left her classes and my legs are feel like jelly , but , thats me pushing myself , if at first you find it hard , wind back the resistance , and just keep up the cadence, after a few weeks , it gets easier , if you live in or near West London she will get you some free passes, see how you take to it

Top Bottom