Squealing BB7 Disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
/sales blurb
Ceramic Pro
These soft organic ceramic fiber disc brake pads are carbonized. The ceramic compound insulates the brake system from friction heat up to 400oC. The result is a very powerful, quiet pad with extremely low heat generation which all but eliminates the chances of brake fade.

Details
  • Upgrade on original fitted pads
  • DIN 79100 Standard Approved
  • Organic Compound contains no metal material
  • Reduces damage to rotor
  • Carbonized compound reduces brake fading
  • Ceramic Fiber insulates brake system from friction heat
  • Non-Asbestos

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Can someone explain the difference between normal, organic and sintered pads.

Thanks
Little bits of metal. Normal and organic are two names for the same thing.
sintered pads dissipate heat better and therefore in theory handle heat fade better

pinkbike have the answers....

compo

Veteran
Firstly I know nothing about cycle disc brakes although looking at buying a bike soon so equipped. I do however have lots of experience of motorcycle and car disc brakes. Are there any similarities? For example a dollop of grease between the back of the disc and the piston will often stop noise when braking. Would a wipe of grease on a bicycle set up help? On motorcycles it can also help to bevel slightly the back edge of the pad (as the wheel goes round the "first" bit the disc hits as it were). The whole idea is to stop, or at least reduce, vibration. Perhaps bicycle systems are just too small and lightweight for traditional methods to be effective.

Both of those work on bicycle disks but I would recommend copperslip rather than normal grease on the back of the pads.

No, grease the side away from the disc where it contacts the actuator. Be careful to keep the grease off the braking surface.

compo

Veteran
It doesn't need a lot of grease or it will get onto the braking surface. Little more than a finger wipe is sufficient.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
all it, the blob, smear, wipe of coppaslip does is change the mass of the pad and alter the resonant frequency.

do not EVER do it with hydro bike brakes.

do not ask me how i know this.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
BB7 pads have holes on the pad backing surface, grease at the back will eventually contaminate the pads.

465643.jpg

When I looked into this issue some time ago trying to cure said squeal on a bike, I found that disc brake squeal has been the subject of numerous phd thesis and learned academic papers for 30 years, with no sign of stopping any time soon. The reason it is so challenging is that there can be numerous causes which can result in harmonic vibration of various parts (pad, rotor, caliper etc. even the whole machine!), which may be set off as well as disappear with the smallest change in all sorts of parameters (temperature, friction, moisture, deformation, looseness etc.), and changing one thing (e.g. greasing the back) might actually change another (positioning the spring differently) which may result in improvement or otherwise, and which may stay or may not. It is precisely because of the problem's multivariate nonlinearity why you won't find a single reputable source telling you the solution is X and it will work, only sources which are trying to sell snake oil for profit will do that.

I hate to be the bearer of such a message, but it is what it is. As to what to do, imho I would exercise the brakes and let it break in some more, if that doesn't work then follow Avid's instruction to set it up correctly (2/3rd 1/3rd, tightening bolts and all that), cleaning rotors and roughening the pads lightly, and if that doesn't work try changing the pads to organics. It could be a bitch that is not going away, or coming or going all the time, but you might also be lucky - BB7's aren't supposed to be particularly prone to squeal.

Good luck!!

I find my BB7's squeal in the wet if I brake lightly/normally. If I brake significantly heavier (and therefore for less time) than normal, it seems to stop squealing after a few brakes.

Top Bottom