Storm Imogen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Are you one of those reckless citizens who will venture forth into the teeth of The Storm and make an "unnecessary journey":eek:
Absolutely! First sign of snow, and I am out in anything with rear-wheel drive. (Once every couple of years here, I'm afraid.) I'd love to know how they define 'unnecessary', though. I've heard people say on the BBC "stay indoors, work from home", as if that was ever an option for most people. Journeys tend to be necessary; that's why we do them. Or do they think we are thinking "Well, it's Storm Force 10 out there, with thunder, heavy rain and travel disruption predicted, so I'll just get in the car and go for a nice relaxing drive", but that a timely warning would bring us to our senses?

I think the bike can stay in the shed today, and I'm hoping the shed will stay in the garden.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Its a little blowwy out

Screenshot_2016-02-08-07-18-29.png

subaqua

What’s the point
Absolutely! First sign of snow, and I am out in anything with rear-wheel drive. (Once every couple of years here, I'm afraid.) I'd love to know how they define 'unnecessary', though. I've heard people say on the BBC "stay indoors, work from home", as if that was ever an option for most people. Journeys tend to be necessary; that's why we do them. Or do they think we are thinking "Well, it's Storm Force 10 out there, with thunder, heavy rain and travel disruption predicted, so I'll just get in the car and go for a nice relaxing drive", but that a timely warning would bring us to our senses?

You are Rhod Gilbert and ICMFP :smile:

Headwind was horrible today. Only good thing was using it to stay upright and clipped in at most junctions. Made me look like a hipster track standing God.

My luck the wind will turn during the day!

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I'm on the train to work this morning, knackered, as the wind, rain and thunder kept me up half the night.

OK, it wasn't a hurricane, but it was very, very unpleasant indeed.

It's sunny now but, as per the forecast for 50-60mph SW wind pretty much all day, the bike's stayed at home.

I bet it misses us now.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
We've had the strongest recorded gusts so far, right on my doorstep (96 mph, and 79 mph). Trees are down, power is out, roads are closed, rivers are bursting their banks. Ohhhh what fun.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'd love to know how they define 'unnecessary', though. I've heard people say on the BBC "stay indoors, work from home", as if that was ever an option for most people. Journeys tend to be necessary; that's why we do them. Or do they think we are thinking "Well, it's Storm Force 10 out there, with thunder, heavy rain and travel disruption predicted, so I'll just get in the car and go for a nice relaxing drive", but that a timely warning would bring us to our senses?
It's a difficult call, but it depends how we define 'unnecessary'. If we put ourselves and the emergency services at risk by venturing out to do something that could wait till tomorrow, or that someone else could do without the risk, then we should think very carefully. I could have said that my journey on 25 January 1990 was necessary, as someone had to milk the cows... I couldn't even contact the farmer to tell him I wasn't going to turn up (the phone lines were down), but I was persuaded it really wasn't worth the risk. My colleague at another farm was killed by a falling tree that afternoon. It colours one's view of what is 'necessary'.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm on the train to work this morning, knackered, as the wind, rain and thunder kept me up half the night.

OK, it wasn't a hurricane, but it was very, very unpleasant indeed.

It's sunny now but, as per the forecast for 50-60mph SW wind pretty much all day, the bike's stayed at home.

I bet it misses us now.

Me too.. Mrs Ian pleaded with me not to ride in today. The winds and noise last night was horrendous. This morning the winds have abated but looking like it's going to be a bit naughty later on.
I did see a good few cyclists walking from the station to work though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Mr Summerdays and myself are currently disagreeing with whether our journey to Wales is necessary or not.... He's more sensible than me..... Even though I suggested the train as an alternative:rolleyes:. I now need the wind to ease off if we are to go to see the eldest to celebrate their birthday.

Mr Summerdays and myself are currently disagreeing with whether our journey to Wales is necessary or not.... He's more sensible than me..... Even though I suggested the train as an alternative:rolleyes:. I now need the wind to ease off if we are to go to see the eldest to celebrate their birthday.
The second crossing is still open as far as I know, must be a tad breezy on it just now though, better check the trains, some delays reported, thirty minutes, and the
usual fallen trees, flooded roads to be aware of...

Top Bottom