Stuck seat post

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
lad at work has bought a bike off someone else, to be fair he got it cheap but the seat post is stuck, they’ve had a few goes at getting it out, any ideas?
It does look a mess now though, it’s an ally frame and I think an ally seat post although I’ve not really go involved.

Attachments

• 811BD645-C860-4FFC-A20E-9DD61CED8EAB.jpeg
    811BD645-C860-4FFC-A20E-9DD61CED8EAB.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 45
  • B9D59D5E-9E35-44DB-AEE0-B3A447456950.jpeg
    B9D59D5E-9E35-44DB-AEE0-B3A447456950.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 45

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
oh dear
Plenty of plus gas or other lubricating sprays
You could try some gentle warming up but be very careful
How much post is in the frame ?
if in doubt google johntheseatpostman
or try and cut strips in to the post and then peel it out can get messy

CycleCommute.CC

I had a carbon post stick in alu frame once. Had to cut it out piece by piece. Took hours of work but got there in the end. Alu post would be another matter though...

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
They’ve cut down and tried to curl it in on itself but not all the way down, I think that’s what they need to do now.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I think about 7 inches left in, they did go in all guns blazing rather than trying softly softly approach first!!!!

That's a good length as they say

And good luck

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
I’ve had a look at seatpostman and to be honest he paid £50 for the bike it’s a Trek 1.5 with 10spd Tiagra so don’t know whether it’s worth the £60+ courier to get it repaired.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You're lucky that you've got a flange to work with. Try the usual things with lubrication and maybe put a cold chisel under that washer and knock it up with a hammer.
Otherwise try to hire a slide hammer.
Good luck

CXRAndy

Guru
Galvanic corrosion. I had a lock bolt stuck inside a aluminium tow hitch. What a barsteward to get it out after only one winter. It will need cutting out I reckon

Top Bottom