England : Rutland Sunday 17th November, quiet lanes and cake.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Waiting for my Landlord to get back to me he wants to do a flat inspection on that date, if I'm clear I'll head your way.

Waiting for my Landlord to get back to me he wants to do a flat inspection on that date, if I'm clear I'll head your way.
Welcome as always, this will be a very laid back ride, a lazy Sunday, I have a knackered shoulder so it will be a steady affair.
Much as I would love to come and ride your lovely lanes again, I can't make that one - sorry TF. Maybe next spring eh?
I hope so, plenty more to see in and around Rutland and it isn't all hilly, honest! Look forward to it.

Excellent, the old posse saddling up for another pot hole free ride. I say that because the main road between Oakham and Stamford towards the Stamford end has just been resurfaced, and it was already of a quality most councils would aspire to. We can only surmise there were some hairline cracks that they were worried might develop over the winter.

Forgot to say my Peterbororough-London-Cambridge-Peterborough ride has been put back to this weekend; have a good one and I hope this good weather continues.
You too, we also have yet to ride the guided busway, but aim to do it soon as we have a lot of friends in Cambridge.
We are riding this Sunday whatever, it's a really scenic route with a nice cake stop. If anyone is thinking of coming, we are going to aim for a 9.30 start from Oakham railway station car park but could feasibly put that back to 10am if necessary. To reiterate, this is a social ride, so an easy pace that most folk can handle unless an absolute beginner. If you have never ridden on pothole free roads before where the bike count is often higher than the cars, you need to come and try it out.

sorrrrrry TF I am going to have to bail as well. Knackered from too much work and bairn as a Rugby Match so decided to have a lie in and then go embarrass him from the sideline:ph34r:

sorrrrrry TF I am going to have to bail as well. Knackered from too much work and bairn as a Rugby Match so decided to have a lie in and then go embarrass him from the sideline:ph34r:
What a pity, a really good route as well, next one could possibly be a hundred miler in Spring aimed at fixed gears but gears accepted in order to give the fixed riders a push over the last few miles.

Many thanks, @dr_pink and @totallyfixed for another superb ride in the gorgeous Rutland/Leicestershire autumn countryside! I'll sleep well tonight. :dance:
You are very welcome as always, only the three of us but none the worse for that, nearly 60 miles counting our quick trip to the station first. What a day! Just about perfect for cycling, no wind and relatively mild. Six miles after leaving Oakham we did a little detour to show Poacher The Tree, somewhere to park the bike anyway
1_zps56621dda.png

Somewhat surprisingly after the strong winds we have had there were still plenty of leaves left on the trees and consequently, colour
2013005_zps2899e556.jpg

And if you are going to have a pee stop might as well take photo while you are there
2013007_zps277a414f.jpg

And yet more colour
2013009_zps7867e81d.jpg

Another view of Belvoir Castle, top left, almost indistinguishable among the trees on the skyline.
2013011_zpse82ea601.jpg

The cake stop was brilliant as always, good cake and nice staff, plus arriving a bit later than other cyclists tend to get there means we had no wait. Stayed there a bit longer than we should have and with 30 miles still to do we had to move, but as with nearly everywhere these days we hit a traffic jam
2013013_zps0c6d51a9.jpg

dr_pink and Poacher on one of the last "little" gradients about 7 miles from home, having looked at this picture again, the countryside still looks quite lush to mid to late November
2013017_zps62f442f4.jpg

A really enjoyable few hours, just had a little drizzle in the last hour but not enough to get wet.
For anyone who hasn't cycled here before, do it.

Looks divine, sorry I missed it, but on the plus side the bairns team only managed to field 13 men and still won one of the strongest sides in the division 18:12 :hyper:

Top Bottom