England : London Sunday London Ride - Ghost Signs Edition - 12 July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Sounds intriguing. Will submit a Ride Approval Form.

RAF.gif

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Count me in.

U

User10571

And I'll probably throw in one of London's most interesting streets - one you are unlikely to have ridden along, or ever will.
That's a deeply provocative thing to say, to anyone that has ever planned a ride....

susecostello

Regular
A gentle tour around some of the better 'ghost' signs in London. Mileage is to be confirmed when I've worked out a route, but it'll be similar to a regular SLR and at a similar pace, so suitable for all-comers. We'll leave HPC at 9.30am and end up at a cafe somewhere central. There could be other cafe stops too.

Anyone interested?

I'm in :biggrin:

U

User10571

Are you getting ideas above your station, young man? (Just a speculative enquiry, M'lud.)
Having given this some further thought, it occurs to me that rb58 may have ideas below his station.
Just sayin' ....... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
And I'll probably throw in one of London's most interesting streets - one you are unlikely to have ridden along, or ever will.

Savoy Court?

The only two way street in London on which traffic drives on the right.

Various explanations online, but here's a pic taken from The Strand:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...ca3cb60081:0x9ae0b5aba0b99a2!6m1!1e1?hl=en-GB

As regards ghost signs, one I recall is Pat Hanlon Lightweight Cycles on a gable end visible from the North Circular Road, somewhere near Palmer's Green.

Dunno if it's still there, and that part of the North Circ might have been widened since was last along it.

U

User10571

Savoy Court?

The only two way street in London on which traffic drives on the right.

Various explanations online, but here's a pic taken from The Strand:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...ca3cb60081:0x9ae0b5aba0b99a2!6m1!1e1?hl=en-GB

As regards ghost signs, one I recall is Pat Hanlon Lightweight Cycles on a gable end visible from the North Circular Road, somewhere near Palmer's Green.

Dunno if it's still there, and that part of the North Circ might have been widened since was last along it.
Mostly so cabbies could open the (normally) offside door for their fare to alight without having to leave the driving seat. Needless to say this dates from the days when taxis had suicide doors, which today's TX1 doesn't.
Savoy Court, unless things have changed, is the only road in london to have a rubber, rather than tarmac, surface.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
I read somewhere that Chequer Street up near Old Street has the last remaining wooden road in London. Don't know if it's still there though.

Top Bottom