Surly ..... re-build and parts uograde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , I’m doing this to get my mind off all this doom and gloom.i am finding it unsettling .

I posted a month ago that I had retrieved my Surly that was nicked last August , it was mainly unscathed but there was some damage to brake levers and and shifters , front wheel a bit buckled and the back tyre was almost thread bare and there is a very nasty scrawp on the crossbar ,
So , time to get this lovely ride back on the frog and toad !!
The idea is to put new shifters and levers , put an 10 speed 11-42 cassette on and put a wider size tyres on , new saddle and other bits and bobs. I’m not sure how to tackle the damage to cross bar , it was powder coated in a tangerine colour by Surly, I’ll have a look on websites to see if I can find a solution , I doubt I could find a paint match in a durable paint ,
Anyway, that’s the plan !!
Ok so, Keep safe

roadrash

cycle chatterer
I don't know about surrey but round here I can get a frame and forks bead blasted and powder coated for £35, and they do a top notch job too. good luck and don't forget we like pics.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I don't know about surrey but round here I can get a frame and forks bead blasted and powder coated for £35, and they do a top notch job too. good luck and don't forget we like pics.
Hiya, which company is that ? I had a classic GT frame done around here in powder coat an it was not a very good job at all , I let it go because it was an MTB but I’ll be very fussy about this one , it’s very special to me,

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Touch it up then slap a sticker over it.
I know stickers can be a bit marmite for some people (I personally don't like them) but something conservative, maybe just your name and home flag might cover the damage without being too 'in your face'?

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru

this the coating damage

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
That’s a cracking thing you are doing for the DSA, I’ll donate for that , I have personal reasons for doing it ,
Well done you and your Gang !!
Edit,
I think I’ve just cocked up on the payment page , I’ll wait and see if any emails come through , and the try again

Last edited:

roadrash

cycle chatterer
Hiya, which company is that ? I had a classic GT frame done around here in powder coat an it was not a very good job at all , I let it go because it was an MTB but I’ll be very fussy about this one , it’s very special to me,

stockport powdercoating,

http://www.stockportpowdercoating.com/

you can see the results in this thread

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/restoration-twenty.148038/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wrong thread perchance?
Not really , in the footer of @I like Skol post he has put up info and I am responding to it , can’t see a problem with that
Riding with @nickyboy and two others to raise money for Downs Syndrome Association - www.cyclechat.net/threads/nickyboys-2020-lejog-for-downs-syndrome-association.254942
Fingers crossed now that the corona virus doesn't cause us too much trouble but it is beginning to look like we will have to move the dates back a couple of months :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Hiya , I’m doing this to get my mind off all this doom and gloom.i am finding it unsettling .

I posted a month ago that I had retrieved my Surly that was nicked last August , it was mainly unscathed but there was some damage to brake levers and and shifters , front wheel a bit buckled and the back tyre was almost thread bare and there is a very nasty scrawp on the crossbar ,
So , time to get this lovely ride back on the frog and toad !!
The idea is to put new shifters and levers , put an 10 speed 11-42 cassette on and put a wider size tyres on , new saddle and other bits and bobs. I’m not sure how to tackle the damage to cross bar , it was powder coated in a tangerine colour by Surly, I’ll have a look on websites to see if I can find a solution , I doubt I could find a paint match in a durable paint ,
Anyway, that’s the plan !!
Ok so, Keep safe

Which Surly? There are many. Would it be a X-Check as in your avatar?

Crankarm

Guru
Well at least you got it back. Many disappear never to be seen again like my first Brompton.

X-Check is basically the Straggler but with rim brakes?

Top Bottom