Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maylian

Veteran
Got drenched in the squall coming down the railway path at 8am yesterday (Monday). Ok today but getting down into Lower Easton, I see the paint vandals were out overnight and daubed the path with graffiti....again.

How safe is the railway path (Bristol-Bath route) at peak times, I've only ever used it super early? Thinking about using it to add in extra distance from time to time, but heard various stories as you get into Easton/Old Market.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
How safe is the railway path (Bristol-Bath route) at peak times, I've only ever used it super early? Thinking about using it to add in extra distance from time to time, but heard various stories as you get into Easton/Old Market.

I use it to commute every day, usually 8-8.30am then 5.30-6.30pm (ish).

Its generally OK, peak times down in Easton can get a bit crowded with school pupils/joggers/pedestrians but no worse than anywhere else. It was revamped a few years ago, widened in parts (4m+) so its quite good. Some sections, such as from Devon Road to the Easton Community centre are a tad narrow but these sections really can't be widened. the infamous S-bend at Clay Bottom has been widened too and there are more signs/benches. Some upper sections are showing their age, few potholes/asphalt cracks.

In terms of crime/safety, I'd say peak times are safer, plenty of folk around should anything happen. There are occasional 'hazards' such as the current fad for those 'ninja yoof' who like to race their electric motorbikes about (and the guy I saw blatantly urinating on the path last week), but these occurrences are rare. You'll be fine....in fact, usually within five minutes of stopping on the path even to adjust my saddle, some passing cyclists ask if I'm OK/need help (assuming I might have broken down or got a puncture).

rivers

How far can I go?
Weather was beautiful on the way in this morning- took ages to get into work as I had a few bike issues that needed sorting. Nothing too major, but it did require a couple of stops. The way home was a different story- pelted with hail and a strong headwind made for an interesting ride to the train station

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Weather was beautiful on the way in this morning- took ages to get into work as I had a few bike issues that needed sorting. Nothing too major, but it did require a couple of stops. The way home was a different story- pelted with hail and a strong headwind made for an interesting ride to the train station

just been hailing here , i luckily avoided the nasty stuff and had sunshine although i could see the rain in the distance approaching

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
This morning I decided on a sedate one as I awoke feeling knackered, creaky and jaded.

It was damned cold; the forecast reckoned 6 degrees at 8. I made do with merino base layer, gloves and the first outing for my discount DHB merino buff.

Despite my initial intentions the need to warm up, tailwind and techstep soundtrack made for an increasingly vigorous ride. Nearly took two different joggers to the face while passing under low, poorly-sighted bridges; however was pleased with proceedings on both occasions as slowing right down, judicious use of the bell and general caution avoided any drama.

Lots of school traffic around which was a bit of a pain but good to see, much confusion as slower cyclists chose to pull to the right to let me past which is obviously wrong; however maybe this was because they were more comfortable with being close to the hedge rather than the canal... fair enough I guess if they're not very confident.

Stopped at the butchers for breakfast and the week's meat, got to the office in good time and am now enjoying the inevitable comedown now I've stopped; sat here in my "grandad's given up on life" bargain CRC fleece and hat as my body temperature's plummetted - probably because I've had no carbs. Will see how long I can last before I have to bother the shop..

I think there might be a small utility ride in today's itinerary and tbh wil be glad to get home as the long days and appreciable mileage on the bike really wrings me out.. as grateful as I am for the time in the saddle / out of the car.

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
On the way home I stopped at a park en-route for some inaugural dangle-hoop action.

As I was leaving I gave the last of my water to a half-my-age hottie who'd evidently overcooked it playing football with her mates.. She was very appreciative and although it felt good to have helped a fellow human, the overwhelming result of this tiny interaction was to remind me of how old, sad and lonely I've become :sad:

biking_fox

Guru
Nippy out this morning.
Indeed - actual frost! But with the sun and light wind, pleasant riding. Only 1 commute for me this week, life in the way. The return of the schools has added at least a couple of minutes to my ride time (10% !)

Sadly the forecast for this afternoon is back to the wet stuff.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Nippy here too this morning down in the glorious south east. Phone was showing 4° at 6.30am. Though by the time I had left for work at 7.30 it had warmed up a tad. Lovely, blue sky, sunny morning for the commute.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yesterday coming home my Newboler front light fell off & got run over before I could pick it up. It survived!

And then a driver nearly knocked me off at speed after she mistook my strong primary position through a junction as an indication that I was turning right, rather than going straight on.

So, today's blissfully sunny commute along beautiful country lanes, with an Audi driver very considerately reversing some way uphill to facilitate my passage, and a M&S HGV driver stopping traffic on the M5 slip road to allow me to cross, was utterly amazing!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
cars were starting to white over when i left for work about 4.20 am , i was overtaken by a police car with its blues on and when i got to work a car was stopped with 2 police cars .Apparently another cyclist had been hit and taken away by ambulance .
We do enter the site on the bike via a cut through off the cycle path that brings you out by a set of traffic lights , if the cyclist decided to bomb across its asking for trouble .

rivers

How far can I go?
I had a lovely commute in this morning, slightly chilly, but sunny and a tailwind. I was looking forward to the same home (though with a headwind), until I ran over an errant screw a mile from work and 11 miles from home. I am currently sat awaiting rescue as there is now a sizeable hole in my tyre.

1000005259.jpg

1000005258.jpg

1000005257.jpg

rivers

How far can I go?
Last night, I inspected my wheel and tyre and concluded that the tyre was patchable. No damage to the wheel or rim tape either (which is thankful as both the wheel and tyre are less than a week old!). Made a mess in the bathroom with old sealant, then with new sealant, but thankfully my wheel and tyre combination were easy to set-up tubeless.
This morning, all that work paid off as it was glorious. Absolutely caned it on the way into work, and managed to make it in in roughly 48 minutes.

Top Bottom