tanks on the front step? (A thread about BC and CTC)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there's a snappy little vid on my Grauniad page. It has a lot of happy people on bikes. There are lots of bright blues and pinks. It's advertising GoSky rides. There's a link... http://www.goskyride.com/

This page has received a big, big shot in the arm in the last few days. It's attractive and simple. And, if I ask about rides in the London area I get 142 offers, ranging from little tiddlers to halfdayers. And they look pretty darn inviting, particularly for beginners. Somebody at BC has put a lot of thought in to this.

Is this game over?

(the reference to tanks dates back a while. BC started organising local rides and Kevin Mayne told BC to get their tanks off his lawn)

sheddy

Legendary Member
The 'Social Rides' are dead easy to set up once you've got BC membership (£12 first year) and login sorted out.
Heres one we made earlier http://www.goskyride.com/Search/Details?eventid=5584

byegad

Legendary Member
Sadly the CTC has its collective head in the saddlebag. The move to charitable status is one that the AA and RAC took some years ago. Witness Green Flag, ETA and many more recovery/roadside help organisations. My CTC membership is due in September. I'm not sure I'll renew.

snorri

Legendary Member
The writing is writ large on the wall for the CTC.
The more senior among us will be repelled by the glitzy image and association with Sky, but younger people will surely be attracted to the bright colours and "all the gear" image of BC, more so now that they are working to attract the leisure and recreational cyclist.
BC has no events organised locally within the next 6 months on their search facility, but their profile has risen dramatically.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
BC spokespeople cropping up more and more in the mehja when once it would have been a CTC wonk.

BC seem to have done their market research and are going after said market with a vengeance whereas CTC give the impression that all that marketing nonsense is, well, nonsense and quite beneath them.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My CTC membership is up for renewal soon. I'm not sure what to do. As an organisation, the more I read and hear about them, particularly from people with first hand experience of being involved, the less I want to have anything to do with them. On the other hand they are currently handling an insurance thingy for me although I suppose I could have passed this to any "no win - no fee" setup.

Then there's the insurance element for the FNRttC.

:scratch:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My CTC membership is up for renewal soon. I'm not sure what to do. As an organisation, the more I read and hear about them, particularly from people with first hand experience of being involved, the less I want to have anything to do with them. On the other hand they are currently handling an insurance thingy for me although I suppose I could have passed this to any "no win - no fee" setup.

Join the Fridays as a CTC affiliate? (What I did when the CTC disappeared up its own frame pump) They aren't handling your insurance claim, the lawyers they have an agreement with are, surely. You could have gone direct to those lawyers yourself.

Simon will put your straight.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Yep, the CTC
They aren't handling your insurance claim, the lawyers they have an agreement with are
Yep, the only difference between phoning the solicitors on the CTC number rather than the public one is that on the CTC number you pay for the call ...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Renewed mine through the Fridays

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep, the CTC
Yep, the only difference between phoning the solicitors on the CTC number rather than the public one is that on the CTC number you pay for the call ...
Oh. I got some blurb from the solicitors that it's effectively being underwritten by the CTC in some way. The Access to Justice (Membership Scheme).

I suppose RJW would probably take it anyway though under no win no fee.

Top Bottom