Tests to find your genetic makeup/heritage. Are the sellers/testers genuine, or will they just tell you anything to get money off you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Have any of you used a test to find out your 'genetic makeup' or whatever they call it now? I've just been listening o the radio where a bloke said he found out his father wasn't his father, but more likely someone from Poland. I'm not after finding out such things, more just if I have any 'foreign blood' in me. Do you think those who sell/do such tests give genuine results, or will they tell you anything just to get some money off you? 🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
If you don't have "foreign" blood, I'd be surprised.

That said, I was linked with another person, living in a Warrington postcode area who has the same name, born on the same day as myself.

I did mine myself, and found out my earliest ancestor was a single-cell, bacterium-like organism called Luca, that was living in a gas from a deep sea trench near the Galapagos Islands.

DRM

Guru
I’ve done one, it actually seems pretty accurate, it brought up matches from possible cousins in Australia, whose ancestors I was aware of being my great grandfathers brothers, there was also a lady brought up who looked very similar to my maternal grandad, and her surname was a very unusual one which just happens to be my grandads, & uncles middle name, which I very nearly ended up with as it was a family name

Ancestory.co.uk has a DNA service, my family used it to try and fill in a gap (unknown father for someone) and whilst it couldn't do that the other results it did confirm were all accurate.

Edit

For anyone interested in this sort of thing 'Long Lost Family' TV show does these sort of searches better than other shows I've seen, I've been enjoying the "Born Without Trace" sub series of it which looks at Foundlings - people left abandoned as babies. Its very good.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
I found second cousins in Australia who I didn't even know existed. I also found out that I was distantly related to some of my Aunt's friends.

I wasn't too impressed by the ethnic analysis though. The same DNA printout can give different results depending on which compay analyzes it. According to one analysis I was 2% German and another 2% Native American!

Top Bottom