Texting Driver Who Hit Bicyclist: "I Just Don't Care"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Link to News article: http://www.standard.net.au/story/2219242/i-just-dont-care-texting-p-plate-driver-hits-cyclist/
A texting motorist who slammed into a bicyclist and injured his spine told police she has some regrets—about the dents in her car.

According to phone records, 21-year-old Kimberley Davis was texting with seven different phone numbers as she drove her vehicle through Koroit, a small town in western Victoria, Australia. Local police say she used her phone behind the wheel 44 times during the trip.

Around 7:20 pm, she struck a bicyclist from behind, apparently failing to see the warning lights that he had placed on the front and back of his bike. Although she called emergency responders, the cyclist said she refused to render him assistance and left him lying on the side of the road.

According to the Standard, she also had some choice statements for responding police.

"I just don't care because I've already been through a lot of bullshit and my car is like pretty expensive and now I have to fix it."

"I'm kind of pissed off that the cyclist has hit the side of my car. I don't agree that people texting and driving could hit a cyclist. I wasn't on my phone when I hit the cyclist."

Davis was fined $4,500 and lost her license for nine months. In addition to some minor injuries, the cyclist suffered a spinal fracture requiring surgery and the use of a spinal cage.

Davis had driven from a supermarket in east Warrnambool to just west of Koroit when she hit the cyclist at 7.20pm on September 20 last year on the Penshurst-Warrnambool Road.

The cyclist was on the edge of the road heading west when Davis hit him from behind, despite there being lights on the back and front of his bike.

Records showed Davis used her phone 44 times in her drive from east Warrnambool to Koroit, sending and receiving 22 text messages to seven different phones.

At 7.18pm she received a text message and 51 seconds later made the call to triple-0 after hitting the rider.

Magistrate John Lesser said there were issues surrounding the case of great community significance, especially drivers using mobile telephones.

He noted that Davis’ comments were poorly put when she was interviewed by police.

Mr Lesser noted that yesterday a Terang family business was fined $17,500 with more than $3000 costs after a workplace accident and the injuries caused were not as significant as those suffered by the rider.

The wife of the bike rider was in court for the hearing yesterday and was deeply disappointed Davis did not lose her licence for longer.

Last edited:
And the point you are trying to make is? That you can copy and paste?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
If I had to explain the clear reason to sharing the news article then well it may insult your intelligence

try and we'll see, cos it isn't obvious to me

Trying to reason with you Dan is like trying to play chess with a pigeon, you crap on the board, knock the pieces over then strut about claiming victory.

AndyRM

XOXO
She sounds like a total peanut. Commenters on the article suggest that she got off with a slap on the wrist and I'd be inclined to agree.

The sooner cyclists are considered equals on the road, the better.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
[QUOTE 3033102, member: 9609"]It would seem that the Australian laws are as lax towards motorists as they are in this country.

Is there anywhere in the world where they take driving offences seriously ?[/QUOTE]

Germany.

Big Nick

You don't think that is the mass opinion now?

Completely agree

When I took up cycling a number of friends commented on how they would like to but thought it too dangerous

My missus cycles but won't go out on her bike at peak periods after several worrying moments with lorries and such overtaking her so close she could touch them

My 2 mile urban commute through town each day has me now thinking 'when' is someone going to endanger me not 'if'

The point is the fear element has taken over the actual reality

ASC1951

Guru
..The point is the fear element has taken over the actual reality
Quite right - and you can apply that to all sorts of things. For instance, the public - particularly older people - think the risk of robbery or violent assault is far higher than it actually is, and are unwilling to go out in the evening. Parents think their children are at much more danger outside the home than they actually are, and their lives are blighted as a consequence.
I blame the TV and the redtops, but it's not helped by people like Dan digging up this irrelevant pointless nonsense.

Top Bottom