The Armstrong Lie

Did LA dope in 2009?

• Yes

Votes: 76 89.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It still gets a Like.

Most of this stuff from Cunobelin has been refuted umpteen times, I'm just not anal enough to go find the quotes.

Does that include the claims that there was no evidence that Simpson cheated..... because the drugs in his pocket were only circumstantial and that Post Mortem examination proof of drugs in his blood was not acceptable as evidence ?

Hardly refuting anything

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Different question...

Any athlete who knowingly uses a substance to gain an advantage is cheating.

Lets look at a drug that appeared for the first time in 2012

It is investigated, and becomes banned in 2014.

Any athlete using it after 2014 becomes banned.... was it's use prior to that morally right, or it's use any more acceptable, or was it still cheating?
Of course it's still cheating. And under regular testing, it would still get caught. No longer is there a need to have to have a test for a specific drug, or even for it to be known about by the people doing the testing. The whole point of the biological passport programme is to catch people using anything performance-enhancing, by looking for the effects of the substance, not just the substance itself.

U

User169

Different question...

Any athlete who knowingly uses a substance to gain an advantage is cheating.

Lets look at a drug that appeared for the first time in 2012

It is investigated, and becomes banned in 2014.

Any athlete using it after 2014 becomes banned.... was it's use prior to that morally right, or it's use any more acceptable, or was it still cheating?

Make up your mind!

One minute you want a cheat defined with reference to rules introduced on1966, the next minute anyone that eats is a cheat.

StuAff

Not the answer you wanted?

See StuAff's post above - he understood the post.
No, I wasn't agreeing with you. I was stating that as it applies now, under current regulations and procedures, drug testing no longer needs to detect a particular substance. I utterly disagree with you on the rest. Retrospectively taking titles from riders when tests cannot be carried out, or when those titles were prior to drug regulations being implemented, is utterly ridiculous.

StuAff

And I still don't get why he obsesses about Simpson (who, incidentally, died with PEDs as a contributing factor- surely a strong moral argument against taking them), yet never mentions Merckx (caught three times), Anquetil (forthright on his own doping), Coppi (ditto), Indurain (almost certainly doped).......
And AFAIK, Simpson never threatened to sue anyone who called him a doper, let alone repeatedly go through with it, never called anyone a whore under oath, never bullied his own team-mates into doping (or sacked those who couldn't/wouldn't dope), never hounded anyone out of the peloton....oh, and though he was doping, he was doping under the regulations and testing regime of the time. If he'd been caught, he'd have faced the sanctions in place then. He wasn't so he didn't.

And I still don't get why he obsesses about Simpson.

That would be because he is not interested in Pro Racing and only knows about Simpson or what he can find on Wiki. He's free to carry on typing bilge, I shall no longer be responding; I've picked that scab.

Hont

Guru
And AFAIK, Simpson never threatened to sue anyone who called him a doper, let alone repeatedly go through with it, never called anyone a whore under oath, never bullied his own team-mates into doping (or sacked those who couldn't/wouldn't dope), never hounded anyone out of the peloton....

For me that's the problem with Armstrong. I don't blame him for doping, any more than I blame Jan Ullrich, David Millar, Tyler Hamilton and all the others who doped and may have a conscience. It's the abuse of power and the depths that he would sink to to protect himself that are inexcusable. So yes, a memorial to Tom Simpson is fine, because he died doing what so many others did. Armstrong appears to stand alone in the contemptibility stakes.

just jim

He was the first man on the moon though. Nobody can take that from him and that is where I and Cunobell..Cunobelin are in complete agreement.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Ah, but was the 'one small step' thing spontaneous or scripted? Did the lander really almost run out of fuel or were they using it illicitly? So many questions...

just jim

yes yes but that was then, flying to the moon was done under the testing regime of the time, it simply does not correspond to current moon flights.

Top Bottom