The beauty in the everyday....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Wow! Not so common!
Cowries are a rare find here....
Cowries used to be common at John o' Groats but since everyone picks them up they were very rare on my last visit. Same with Iona Marble stones on the beaches of that island. At one time the beaches had loads of them but now it is rare to find any. Visitors picking them up and removing them.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wow! Not so common!
Cowries are a rare find here....

I was brought up on the NE coast and we used to get coal washed up on the beach, in small gravel sized pieces.

You'd often find small (5-10mm perhaps) cowries amongst the coal, presumably having a similar density.

waffles

It occasionally get these in my garden.
EiicJ05WsAAvVFV.jpg

@chriswoody thats a nice set of images.

yello

IMG_20210510_184614.jpg

Partridge in my garden

(apologies for the quality; I'm not a photographer and don't have a 'proper' camera or super-duper smartphone)

Edi: I think partridges are so cool, so chilled. They can fly but seem to prefer to walk. Had a pair visit regularly last year, they'd just walk around, seemingly not a care in the world, pecking at stuff. I watched in wonder last year as one took a dust bath, the other just hung around as if on watch. Given the number of foxes around, I'm stunned they survive. They must be really good at hiding their nests, and disguises! :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom