The Crank Arms and the helmet debates

Shaun

Founder
The Crank Arms wasn't working.

It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was just another Cafe with hoops to jump through to get in to it.

I've rethunk it and renamed it to Current Affairs and Debates and moved it back into the main forums:
http://www.cyclechat.net/forum/61-current-affairs-and-debates/

I've also closed the Helmet Debates forum and moved the debates into, well, the new debating forum.

You don't need to ask to get in anymore but you do need 50 posts to see it and post in it.

Enjoy,
Shaun :biggrin:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Sounds a good idea Shaun, I never quite "got" the Crank arms, although it did sound a good idea.

I do wonder if maybe the helmet debates thing does need it's own section though, the odd bit of useful info does crop up in there occasionally?
OK, I could read them in "current affairs" but I'll likely put the new current affairs forum on "ignore" as I guess it will end up being the old P&L before long.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sounds a good idea Shaun, I never quite "got" the Crank arms, although it did sound a good idea.

... as I guess it will end up being the old P&L before long.

I hope so :whistle:

Shaun, FWIW, I'm not sure that merging the helmet debatse in to there is a good idea though (bear in mind I speak here as a person who has no idea what it takes to run a forum and am very appreciative of those that do).

Helmets are a serious and significant subset, but the arguments are fairly circular. Helmet debates are for a minority, but they generate and awful lot of similar threads. I thought the separate Helmets section was a good idea. What I think needs is a sticky where links to all the available evidence (for and against) could be posted and allow it to become a true resource.

I hope the name change for debating .will attract many of the erudite posters who left as a result of the change to Crank arms. They were often the ones most worth reading.

Cheers
FF.

yello

I'm not sure that merging the helmet debatse in to there is a good idea though (bear in mind I speak here as a person who has no idea what it takes to run a forum and am very appreciative of those that do).

Helmets are a serious and significant subset, but the arguments are fairly circular. Helmet debates are for a minority, but they generate and awful lot of similar threads. I thought the separate Helmets section was a good idea. What I think needs is a sticky where links to all the available evidence (for and against) could be posted and allow it to become a true resource.

I do agree with the last bit (in bold) because I do think it'd help people to make up their own minds on this understandably recurring subject. I do think that the merge is a good idea though as it is a debating forum. It makes sense to me.

In practice, it makes no difference to me either way since I'd have them on my 'ignore' list anyway! ;)

Norm

Helmets are a serious and significant subset, but the arguments are fairly circular.
I think that the challenge is to address the threads before they get to that stage.

Helmet debates are for a minority, but they generate and awful lot of similar threads.
An ironic post, as you've essentially written the same thing in two different threads. :biggrin:

It also strikes me that minority interest, circular debates and an awful lot of similar threads could well be why it's being put in with the Current Affairs and Debates section. :thumbsup:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I hope so :whistle:

Shaun, FWIW, I'm not sure that merging the helmet debatse in to there is a good idea though (bear in mind I speak here as a person who has no idea what it takes to run a forum and am very appreciative of those that do).

I hope the name change for debating .will attract many of the erudite posters who left as a result of the change to Crank arms. They were often the ones most worth reading.

Cheers
FF.

+1

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I have a separate plan for helmet debates when the new software is put in place.

For now, just ignore them if you don't want to read them, and if you do read them and spot any becoming circular - just report them.

Cheers,

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but . . .

I'm afraid I have to disagree; It never seemed like a good idea.

byegad

Legendary Member
I have a separate plan for helmet debates when the new software is put in place.

For now, just ignore them if you don't want to read them, and if you do read them and spot any becoming circular - just report them.

Cheers,

In all Helmet threads I've read over the years they follow a set pattern. No matter how they start, it ends up circular, so can we report them as they start and save all that hot air?

Roll on the new software!

Helmet Debates.

How about a dedicated Moderator who only allows posts that are original? I doubt he'll be overstretched...:whistle:

Apply that to CC generally and you'd shut it down. Virtually everything is re-runs of discussions that have been had before at some time.

Top Bottom