The "crimes" if mixed mode commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's probably a few here who mix public transport with cycle commuting. So if you do what do you see as bad form when on public transport? Do you have a list of "sins" that you can't abide?

I have loud mobile phone calls, watching a video, film or TV show without headphones, playing music without headphones, sitting on the aisle seat of a busy train with your shopping on the other seat / table and a biggie is feet on the seat next to you (the person diagonally opposite sits with feet up). The last one can be made worse if the person takes their shoes off first of course.

Do you have any significant annoyances in such cases?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nobbers who stand in the doorway of trains, when there are seats available. Meaning when I get on the train with my bike, I can't lean it against the doors on the non opening side, and instead have to stand with the bike and manouevre it out of the way of passengers getting on or off the train at every stop.

Please don't suggest using the allocated bike storage area, as this is inevitably filled by other bikes, prams, luggage, or people.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd struggle to get a bike on the trains near us unless you got on with it at the first stop. They are rammed. Not sure why people do it TBH, especially full sized bikes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You'd struggle to get a bike on the trains near us unless you got on with it at the first stop. They are rammed. Not sure why people do it TBH, especially full sized bikes.

I was one of many many people taking a Brompton (*other inferior folding bikes are available) into London.

Why? riding a 2-3 miles on a Brommie is more pleasant than taking the tube, gives you a bit of morning exercise and head space and saves several £100 a year on tube fares.

I did gravitate to 2 bike solution once secure bike parking under the office became a "thing", but the Brommie would fit under the desk so was great when / where offices didn't.

rivers

How far can I go?

Because I don't have the space in my house for another bike, even a folder.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Maybe try not inflicting your sweaty body and dirty, bulky bike on a train packed full of commuters? You could always man up and ride the full distance?

I have ridden the full distance to London, but an 8 hour working day plus 10 hours on the bike each way would have meant leaving 4 hours before I got home. So bike -train -bike makes sense.

fossyant

Because I don't have the space in my house for another bike, even a folder.

The right answer it throw everything out, have a chair and plenty of bike parking space. :crazy:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not sure why people do it TBH, especially full sized bikes.

Can't speak for others, but in my case it is usually to take the bike to a start point further from home than is practical to ride when time is restricted. I get bored riding the same old local roads, and the train is sometimes a better option than the car. That's for leisure rides obviously, and since this thread is in commuting, I better cover that one for the pedants. Sometimes I use the train, then ride the last section to work. Why? Because I only work 4 hour days and sometimes like to ride home, but CBA'd getting up early enough to ride the 15 miles TO work. Personal choices to suit different circumstances and all that...

fossyant

Depends what your trains are like - my route is shockingly bad - absolutely rammed during commuting hours - I've a colleague that does mixed mode commute - but he get's on at the 'end' of the line in most cases, then is off at end of line Piccadilly Manchester - but getting on in Manchester can be a real challenge especially if a train had been delayed.

People who want to get on the train using the door you are trying to exit, with bike, but they wont leave room for you to roll out.

Top Bottom