The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
This thread was on my mind when I was in All Terrain Cycles in Saltaire idly browsing my lunchtime away. I looked at helmets for the first and a last time in my life, the first one I picked up was £129.99, the second a Giro Aeon (or summat) about £180. Wowee! I had no idea, I though they were about £20 tops. :ohmy:
You're looking in the wrong place.

£10 if you've got a small head - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-helmets/adult-bike-helmets/trax-furnace-bike-helmet-54-58cm

Or £10 half price - http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-helmets/adult-bike-helmets/bell-avanti-bike-helmet-54-61cm

Both meeting EN1078. If I remember correctly, the last one I bought cost £40 from an LBS.

MarkF

Guru
And I bet you got a shock when you went in the pub and found that beer wasn't 50p a pint any more!!!

It was other helmets that I was thinking about, not beer, I have a scooter and motorcycle too. I have one of these and I think the £180 Giro Aeon is worth tuppence in comparison.

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/mt-flux...-matt-black/?gclid=CKSu8LCWkMsCFRIUGwod8_oFeA

gds58

Über Member
Wifey off black ice today giro split and cracked saved her life ! I'm happy who gives a stuff about you lot lol
Simple, straightforward, real world evidence unlike most of the garbage spouted by all the idiot 'antis' on here. Great news CaadX, hope the wife isn't too shaken up by the experience.

claudbutler

I can't believe this thread is still going on:ohmy: if you want to wear a helmet wear one if you dont then dont its that simple.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I can't believe this thread is still going on:ohmy: if you want to wear a helmet wear one if you dont then dont its that simple.
Not for Australians, it isn't, thanks to our government's increasing tendency towards enacting ridiculous nanny-state laws. Count yourselves lucky, and if any of your politicians shows any sign of pushing Australia's helmet policy, please use your voting power to ensure the idea never takes root.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Simple, straightforward, real world evidence unlike most of the garbage spouted by all the idiot 'antis' on here. Great news CaadX, hope the wife isn't too shaken up by the experience.
So you're putting forward a failure of a helmet (cracked and split) as a "pro" for their use?

Hope the lady in question is ok and as @User says, perhaps better to buy studded tyres rather than replace the helmet.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
A recent Wiggle email gave links to this video about Giro and MIPS. It seems to make specific claims about improved safety in impacts involving rotational injuries.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Wifey off black ice today giro split and cracked saved her life ! I'm happy who gives a stuff about you lot lol
Unless your wife has a phenominally thin skull the chances that the helmet actually saved her life (or indeed that anything would have needed to) are extraordinarily remote. It may however have saved her from a worse bump on the head, if you had taken the time to read the thread you may have known this and also been aware that it has been mentioned time and time and time again. If you're lucky somebody will be along in a minute to tell you how their life was saved from certain death when they came off on black ice @User13710. Lol.

I was out riding yesterday, I didn't fall off and bang my head or any other part of my body, I wasn't wearing a helmet. Simple, straightforward, real world evidence that people who wear helmets are far more prone to falling off bikes and bumping their heads, contary to most of the garbage spouted by all the idiot "pros" on here.
BTW, what is an "anti"?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Unless your wife has a phenominally thin skull the chances that the helmet actually saved her life (or indeed that anything would have needed to) are extraordinarily remote. It may however have saved her from a worse bump on the head, if you had taken the time to read the thread you may have known this and also been aware that it has been mentioned time and time and time again. If you're lucky somebody will be along in a minute to tell you how their life was saved from certain death when they came off on black ice @User13710. Lol.

I was out riding yesterday, I didn't fall off and bang my head or any other part of my body, I wasn't wearing a helmet. Simple, straightforward, real world evidence that people who wear helmets are far more prone to falling off bikes and bumping their heads, contary to most of the garbage spouted by all the idiot "pros" on here.
BTW, what is an "anti"?
American Aunty?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Ridng home with my buddy last night and we caught up to a couple of joggers on the shared use, they very kindly moved right over to either side so that we could pass through the middle of them, as I went through one of them shouted at me;
"Where's your helmet?"
It's nice that strangers are so willing to offer advice and I feel sure that in the current cold snap he's approaching people pushing prams to make sure the babies have got enough blankets on and doing talks in schools about the dangers of running in the playground if you have the risk of ice. He's probably an all round good egg who stands at traffic lights and advises naughty drivers that they really shouldn't be using their mobile phone and waits at the entrance to villages waving a "Speed Kills" sign.
On second thoughts however I think he was just a massive cock that wouldn't do any of the above but feels he is somehow justified to shout after me some farking bollocks about helmets, twat!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
"Where's your helmet?"
On second thoughts however I think he was just a massive cock that wouldn't do any of the above but feels he is somehow justified to shout after me some farking bollocks about helmets, twat!

There's a lot of them about. Unfortunately, some of them are fellow cyclists. I've felt compelled to educate them a handful of times - just occasionally it makes them think. Mostly, however, they're beyond help - they probably think the same about me.

Top Bottom