The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
"I really thought I was going to die. I went flying head-first towards the concrete road, but fortunately my shoulder and cheek took the brunt of the impact, and I was wearing a helmet that saved my life."

So then Richard, if it was your shoulder and cheek, how exactly did the helmet...oh never mind.
First Great Western and BT internet for me now mate. And I'm going to use my Tubular Bells CD as a coaster, so there.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Richard Branson said:
I was wearing a helmet that saved my life.

Jamaican_Ginger.jpg

GC

Tin Pot

Guru
A few people have mentioned that helmets aren't tested to a good enough standard - does anyone have specific complaints and recommendations I could take up with the appropriate organisations?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A few people have mentioned that helmets aren't tested to a good enough standard - does anyone have specific complaints and recommendations I could take up with the appropriate organisations?
Minor: recommend that the hemispheric anvil from the Snell tests is included in other tests.

Minor: recommend that the drop heights are increased to something that reflects the height of a real adult cyclist's head above the ground (2.1m, to allow for tall people?)

Minor: recommend a freefall with a horizontal component of 8m/s or so in order to better imitate a fall from a moving cycle and reveal any potential for road-snagging to damage/release the retention system.

Fundamental: recommend that realistic dummy crash tests are performed.

Exactly ... States his shoulder and cheek took the brunt of the fall and then claims his helmet saved his life...,,

The very reasons why the British Dental Association wants greater facial coverage by helmets

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Minor: recommend that the hemispheric anvil from the Snell tests is included in other tests.

Minor: recommend that the drop heights are increased to something that reflects the height of a real adult cyclist's head above the ground (2.1m, to allow for tall people?)

Minor: recommend a freefall with a horizontal component of 8m/s or so in order to better imitate a fall from a moving cycle and reveal any potential for road-snagging to damage/release the retention system.

Major: recommend that standards are based on population statistics, not on artificial tests.

What is really needed is to forget cycling and analyse head injuries as a whole

Perform a national study on head injuries and analyse the results

Then match the factors of the accident and rate the helmet accordingly

A star rating should do it

Pedestrian protection rating *****
Minor cycle impact *****
Minor vehicle impact ***
Vehicle impact at speed *

.. and so on

Tin Pot

Guru

Cheers

Top Bottom