The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There is of course a possibility that Andys helmet prevented a bump to the head, I haven't seen anyone deny that that is a possibility. It's also something which has been repeated time and time again on this thread that there are circumstances where a helmet may be of some benefit. Although it's worth remembering that Andy has said he was travelling relatively slowly at the time of the incident, between 10 - 12 mph, so likely just within or on the helmets design limitations. Somebody far cleverer than me can I'm sure give us some indication as to the speed Andys head would have been travelling at the time of impact. It's also been described by Andy as a "freak incident" so again the question should be asked as to why we consider such an unusual occurance to be worth potentially guarding against whilst cycling but not when performing any other activity where a "freak incident" could occur.
Rather his helmet crumpled and cracked than his head!
This is unnecessarily emotive language, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the week Andys helmet saved him from certain death or at least from being fed through a straw for the rest of his life.

Reactions: srw

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Of course, it's fine for Big Andy. But Justin's glib misquoting is how 'it definitely saved his life' myths get going.
I didn't say that now did I?
I was very careful to definitely not say that, but here we go again diverting from the facts that Andy has told us.
Jeez, even the speed of his crash was just about within the parameters of a helmets testing.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Hey I've just thought of an idea regarding the running of this thread as per the discussions a few days ago.
How about a maximum of say 5 posts per contributer within a time limit such 24 hours then after that time an auto "ban" or "rest" for say 48hrs (or longer) to let other people come in?
Maybe it might prevent the thread falling into this "tit for tat" garbage,
Maybe the mods are watching?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
No evidence though......NEXT!
Is there evidence that it is something which occurs often enough to merit the wearing of PPE, or is this one of those just in case a large mammal uses me as a hurdle whilst I'm taking part in a triathlon situations?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Is there evidence that it is something which occurs often enough to merit the wearing of PPE, or is this one of those just in case a large mammal uses me as a hurdle whilst I'm taking part in a triathlon situations?
It's an accident, one of many caused by different things.....
Live in the countryside long enough and see how many pheasants, deer, rabbits, pigeons, badgers try to commit suicide in your path.
No it's not an everyday occurrence, but it can and does happen.
Bike helmets are not classed as PPE anyway, you know that.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Live in the countryside long enough and see how many pheasants, deer, rabbits, pigeons, badgers try to commit suicide in your path.
No it's not an everyday occurrence, but it can and does happen.
I've lived in the countryside for the last 20 odd years and ridden tens of thousands of miles, not once have I been brought down by rogue animal, but you think it's worth wearing a helmet just in case?

Reactions: mjr

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I've lived in the countryside for the last 20 odd years and ridden tens of thousands of miles, not once have I been brought down by rogue animal, but you think it's worth wearing a helmet just in case?
Im not saying that at all, you questioned the occurrence of a collision with a Deer, what does it matter how the accident happened, it's one of many hazards on our roads and trails.
For me when I'm on my road bike or mtb my helmet doesn't bother me so I'll wear it regardless, during Ride London for instance, it just doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Top Bottom