The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You are now accusing me of trolling? I can respond to your posts if I wish, regardless of whom you believe you are addressing, this is a public forum. My entirely valid point was that it is only helmet evangelists around here who get hysterical and claim that others are 'trying to stop them wearing helmets', no matter how many times we repeat that we don't care whether they do or not. If you were to calm down a bit, and read what you write before you press Post Reply, you might make more sense and come up with more reasoned arguments, instead of resorting to calling people trolls for no reason.

In fairness it has bèen suggested that promoting helmets, or even merely wearing helmets does have a detremental effect on cycling generally and public perception thereof. I am perhaps pursuaded of that view myself, though haven't pushed it. I do rather feel that not wearing a helmet is almost a political act now too.

EDIT as us non wearers can feel like a beleagered minority out in the real world even if we're ascendant on here. Ironically I used to wear one but changed my mind having looked into it.

Last edited:

doog

A few interesting posts appearing.

The comparison to walking doesn't hold water after all ..its all about the look ..:whistle: ...well I never.

The Netherlands is safer to cycle than the UK due to infrastructure (safe facilities) and perhaps that's why there are not so many helmet wearers...I would agree, make it safer and the risks are lowered. You don't make it safer and the risks stay as they are. So in effect cycling is less dangerous in the Netherlands - however cycling isn't dangerous per se according to some so why the comparison and the use of the word 'safe'.

BTW the Netherlands is far from helmet free....on a weekend numerous people wear lids, the faster cycling lot in particular plus many tourers and children.

Germany is helmet central....which goes against anti compulsion reports which laughingly suggest 85% dont wear lids.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
You are now accusing me of trolling? I can respond to your posts if I wish, regardless of whom you believe you are addressing, this is a public forum. My entirely valid point was that it is only helmet evangelists around here who get hysterical and claim that others are 'trying to stop them wearing helmets', no matter how many times we repeat that we don't care whether they do or not. If you were to calm down a bit, and read what you write before you press Post Reply, you might make more sense and come up with more reasoned arguments, instead of resorting to calling people trolls for no reason.
This is simply not true, time and time again we get thrown at us "it makes cycling look dangerous" or it "reduces cyclist numbers" I believe you do "care" whether we wear them otherwise why use that argument?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just to repeat, I have never said that people should not be allowed to wear a helmet if they want to.

No but some on here have suggest that merely wearing one has (bad) consequences for non wearers and indeed for cycling generally. I believe this is true whilst I do acknowledge the right of anyone to wear what they like.

To be honest I almost feel myself intimidated into not wearing one when officialdom / rospa / whover suggest that "critical mass" of wearers is the necessary step for coercing the rest. Less so these days as I'm now more convinced there's no net benefit. But when I sometimes (wanted to) wear one for so-say "riskier" cylcing I was torn.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
The Netherlands is safer to cycle than the UK due to infrastructure (safe facilities) and perhaps that's why there are not so many helmet wearers...I would agree, make it safer and the risks are lowered.
It's not so much the infrastructure that makes it safe, it's the prevalence and hence the attitude. Cycling is so ordinary an activity that just about everyone rides or has friends and family that ride daily. Nobody looks like this:
BTR High Visibility Waterproof Helmet Cover.jpg

doog

It's not so much the infrastructure that makes it safe,
View attachment 144633

wrong its the infrastructure

doog

No it's not. There are many roads outside towns where the infrastructure is no more than a painted line. Cyclists are still treated as a normal part of the traffic scene, drivers give way and behave sensibly in the main.

I found shared roads were no different than France. You get the room (and the perceived stuff that goes with it) but no real difference in driver speed. In the towns and cities it was totally different - more respect without doubt....in the sticks the same as anywhere else.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
It's not so much the infrastructure that makes it safe, it's the prevalence and hence the attitude. Cycling is so ordinary an activity that just about everyone rides or has friends and family that ride daily. Nobody looks like this:
View attachment 144633
I know, those glasses are terrible aren't they?
Seriously though, if that guy wants to wear that on his head then why not, it's his choice.
We have a local guy who walks round in skirts and dresses here.

Bit of an exaggeration isn't it?

How "daft" do people have to be to fall over whilst walking? I mean it's just a case of putting one foot in front of the other isn't it?
Serious accidents can happen to anybody.
I would suggest from my experience riding something with wheels when you're not particularly skilled such as a scooter can be quite dangerous!

Which is why medical experts and lots of anecdotal evidence " support" the use of the Thudguard for infants learning to walk

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yep really, AA research shows overall that children from a low income family are 5 times as likely to die in a road accident
You claimed they were more likely to have a cycle accident... now it's about dying on the road. Skewing claims isn't helping anyone.

Top Bottom