The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I hope I die before I get old enough for a Tilley.
The Mortality Thread is thataway>>>>>>

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I thought you was on about the television region and thought... where the feck are the marble pavements?

well I was walking in new leather soled shoes on rainy along Picadilly at the Ritz hotel end - wet greasy marble pavement - and it was remeniscent of Charlie Chapplin at the ice rink. Skidded about wobblyily desperately trying not to wnd up on my arse in the slime of wet dog-ends and such wearing my good suit. Was pretty funny and I did stay up just. Wasn't wearing a helmet and handn't even been drinking I might add

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Thanks for that.........isn't it good to have a MAMIL's viewpoint (me)?

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Took my 7 year old out this afternoon for a ride round our local disused airfield, on the road getting there he crashed whilst scratching his eye and simultaneously braking and changing gear with one hand. He didn't bang his head on the road but it was a timely reminder what could happen. To his credit he got back on didn't cry and carried on (he went down on his hands off the side as the front end jackknifed). He doesn't generally make a habit of falling over in other walks of life, well apart from playing football. His helmet is a scooter/skate type helmet which covers the head further down the sides and the back. I don't think we'll be leaving it off just yet, even though he didn't bang his head this time, it would be pretty irresponsible of me as a parent would it not, given helmets are so widely available and he's still getting to grips with riding bikes?
image.jpeg

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
So the lesson is not to try and do 3 different things with 2 hands then, particularly not as a young and inexperienced practitioner of the skill you are undertaking.

Good lad for getting up and getting on with it & I'm happy he's ok.

swansonj

Guru
There's a couple near us who have a trike with built in child seat - kind of like a child trailer but in the front and joined onto the back half of a conventional bike - I'm sure someone will know chapter and verse. I notice that their child, strapped in to the inside of the "trailer" bit, which itself has an all-round framework, was wearing a helmet. I was idly trying to imagine what sort of impact could make a helmet conceivably useful....

Tin Pot

Guru
There's a couple near us who have a trike with built in child seat - kind of like a child trailer but in the front and joined onto the back half of a conventional bike - I'm sure someone will know chapter and verse. I notice that their child, strapped in to the inside of the "trailer" bit, which itself has an all-round framework, was wearing a helmet. I was idly trying to imagine what sort of impact could make a helmet conceivably useful....
Fragmentation from a grenade?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Took my 7 year old out this afternoon for a ride round our local disused airfield, on the road getting there he crashed whilst scratching his eye and simultaneously braking and changing gear with one hand. He didn't bang his head on the road but it was a timely reminder what could happen. To his credit he got back on didn't cry and carried on (he went down on his hands off the side as the front end jackknifed). He doesn't generally make a habit of falling over in other walks of life, well apart from playing football. His helmet is a scooter/skate type helmet which covers the head further down the sides and the back. I don't think we'll be leaving it off just yet, even though he didn't bang his head this time, it would be pretty irresponsible of me as a parent would it not, given helmets are so widely available and he's still getting to grips with riding bikes?
View attachment 106517
For the love of God, please get the boy some gloves....

theclaud

Openly Marxist

View attachment 106517

No, but I can can understand why parents feel reassured by helmets when kids are learning - they do occasionally fall off in just the sort of unlikely ways that helmet-testing seems to imagine, and if he's happy enough wearing it then I wouldn't try and talk you out of it. I'd say the skater type helmet is a more sensible choice than the mushroom-head-type lid, and looks cooler. That said, I think, in a general sort of way, that it is better for children to grow up seeing cycling as a normal, everyday activity, and not a risky extreme pursuit. I'd also agree with Greg and Mugshot, that a rational approach to injury prevention would put gloves higher on the list than lids. And it's utterly dismaying to see how many parents allow their children to climb around on playgrounds and tree-houses with a lid on - nothing is a clearer indication of the fact that the fashion for lids is nowt to do with safety. Lid or no lid, your lad looks at home on the bike already - I reckon he might be a natural.

Top Bottom