The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Probably, since most kids can learn to balance a bike quite easily and have little need for stabilisers.

I'd agree with that, all 3 of my kids learned to cycle in about an hour, a nearby grassy slope was all that was needed, they fell off countless times but I honestly can't recall any of them hitting their heads.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You'll need to convince the helmet industry to modify its fearmarketing then.

The accompanying blurb for the Las Victory Supreme 40th cycle helmet in Halfords reads:
"Don't take Jake or Jill`s example and break your crown, instead wear the Las Victory Supreme crown with pride and joy and ride in absolute safety."

I'll repeat that last bit: ".. absolute safety". This is the kind of brazen bullshit that is used to sell helmets.

GC

Update;

Halfords Ltd

Dear Mugshot,

Thank you for contacting us at the ASA regarding a webpage for a helmet on the Halfords website. We contacted the advertisers, who gave us their assurance that the claim of “absolute safety” would be removed from the website.

On the basis of their assurance, we’ll close our file, and basic details will appear on the website, www.asa.org.uk on Wednesday 11th November.

Thank you for taking the time to raise your concerns with us.

Kind regards

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
And there you go.
I have just been talking to Mrs Ian. She has been in the local park today with Little H (5YO), he was riding his bike as he does, and does very well. Some friggin busybody mum decided to to ask Mrs Ian why Little H wasn't wearing a plastic hat, as her kid on seeing H riding sans lid now wanted to take off his plastic hat. Mrs Ian just replied with it's none of her business. . the woman's reply... I hope for your sake he doesn't fall off
:cursing::cursing::cursing:
Good on yer missis.... some parents seem to think their kids are made from the same stuff as a ming vase.

classic33

Leg End Member
but what if they fall over!!!!!
They'll put their arms out to try and break their fall. "Runners Wrist".
Now, why no wrist protection?

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
[QUOTE 3980995, member: 45"]I'm currently in Geneva. From what I observed yesterday there seem to be more cyclists wearing helmets than not.

More importantly it's great to see another European country that values the powered 2-wheeler. I still don't understand why the UK is so far behind in this respect. A cheap congestion-killer.[/QUOTE]
Because as I've said before too many lazy souls and a perception of busy dangerous roads (whether that's true or not).

simongt

Guru
A programme about the second world war has just shown how US soldiers were killed because they wore M1 helmets. Seemingly the strap whipped the head back, snapping the neck in explosions, entering water or parachuting. Soldiers also complained they limit vision and hearing.
Interesting that, because if you watch pretty much any war film or period documentary, you will observe VERY FEW G.I.s using said strap for that very drawback you mention. Paratroopers would unfasten the strap as soon as they had landed because obviously of they jumped out of the plane without the strap fastened, the helmet would be gone in a second and be a danger to paras below.

They continued with the same design for decades, even defending the choice.

Helmets don't have a lot of heat resistance

IMG_2476_zpsrhhfh7wz.jpg

IMG_2477_zpsaadzniyg.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsaac3dops.jpg

IMG_2479_zpshmaf6tke.jpg

Top Bottom