The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
But perhaps a claim for the Advertising Standards to challenge?

would that be the.same advertising standards authority that banned an ad containing a bare-heated cyclist as it was setting a bad example

JimboIchi

@Justinslow
Hi, just coming back to you on the helmet question. As far as I can tell it saved my head from being severely damaged. I can't say what the extent of the damage would be but I got up from a heavy impact and haven't felt any negative symptoms. I will always wear a helmet, as I do for skiing. Just seems the safest option.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.explainthatstuff.com/how-bicycle-helmets-work.html
How does a bicycle helmet work?
how-bicycle-helmets-work.gif

At first sight, a cycle helmet looks much like any other hat, but look more closely and you'll see a lot more thought—and science—has gone into the design. A typical helmet has two main parts: a hard outer shell and a soft inner liner.
Well that's a nice description of a pre-microshell helmet, but not really how most are made now, is it?

Liners are usually about 20cm (0.8 inches) thick and...
:eek: Not even that mushroom hat is 20cm thick!!!

My cash is already spent, and I didn't get suckered in to the "most expensive is best" propaganda, £15 from Planet X will do just fine.
So you don't see the worth of paying more for a helmet that passes B95 and has been tested against a rock-like impact? Don't do any off-roading then?

I'm disappointed, I thought (considering the price tag) it offered a full defensive shield capable of repelling a Romulan Warbird.
Enjoying the DS9 reruns on CBS?

Sorry for the delay. I see the debate has been moving on smoothly so there's not much more to add. I crashed my bike weekend before last. No helmet. No head impact on the road. It occurs to me that I've fallen off the bike several times and never hit my head or been seriously injured and actually the only broken bones I've had were while running but who's saying joggers/runners should be forced to wear more safety gear?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
View attachment 106860

Edit: good 'un @Mugshot I've caught up from the back now :smile:
I did wonder ^_^

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Well that's a nice description of a pre-microshell helmet, but not really how most are made now, is it?

:eek: Not even that mushroom hat is 20cm thick!!!

So you don't see the worth of paying more for a helmet that passes B95 and has been tested against a rock-like impact? Don't do any off-roading then?

Enjoying the DS9 reruns on CBS?

Sorry for the delay. I see the debate has been moving on smoothly so there's not much more to add. I crashed my bike weekend before last. No helmet. No head impact on the road. It occurs to me that I've fallen off the bike several times and never hit my head or been seriously injured and actually the only broken bones I've had were while running but who's saying joggers/runners should be forced to wear more safety gear?

yebbut if you'd been wearing a helmet the extra inch or so could easily have caused you to hit your head - and then you'd have been glad od it is it could easily have saved your life.... innitt

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The current advert that is on with the 3 kids on their bikes and the house keeps building out to keep them inside......

Naturally as it is on telly, they have to be wearing helmets so the world doesn't spin off its axis and the sun go out and we all die screaming horribly, but if they must insist on this obsession then they should at least make the kids wear them properly and not tipped so far back on their heads that a good jarring knock would see the hat break their neck.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
The current advert that is on with the 3 kids on their bikes and the house keeps building out to keep them inside......

Naturally as it is on telly, they have to be wearing helmets so the world doesn't spin off its axis and the sun go out and we all die screaming horribly, but if they must insist on this obsession then they should at least make the kids wear them properly and not tipped so far back on their heads that a good jarring knock would see the hat break their neck.
Fines? As in Oz............

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Mandatory Helmet Laws there, here we still have the choice not to wear one.
Makes fining for not wearing one correctly fitted kinda daft. Given that you could simply avoid the fine by removing it.
Oddly enough, that's exactly what a cyclist did here, according to one of the witnesses. While the poor girl was being fined for having a loose helmet strap, a nearby cyclist was let off with a warning for not wearing a helmet. It's insane...

Top Bottom