The CycleChat Helmet Debate Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So yeah, the risk thing. I've posted similar to this before but.

-Cycling is already pretty low risk of any sort of serious injury (IIRC, something like 500 per billion km)
-Ergo, the risk of a head injury of any sort is even lower
-Of those, the subset where a helmet could prevent a death or serious injury is smaller still
-That's why we cannot detect any protective effect in the data - the specific circumstances where a helmet could help is so vanishingly remote that it is undetectable.
-And once again, there are plenty of activities with a broadly similar risk of head injury that we do not bother with a helmet for - because, like cycling, the risk is so low as to not be worth the bother

I do get somewhat peeved with the "But if it saves just one life brigade", it's such a moronic argument. Luckily there aren't very many of those on here.
Yebbut if it saves just one life....

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Should bike helmets be compulsory? Lessons from Seattle and Amsterdam

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...s-compulsory-seattle-amsterdam-cycling-safety

martint235

Dog on a bike
In a very unscientific experiment this morning, I found that the majority of the "Good morning! Wavey wavey!! Hello!!! Look at me I'm important!! I'M YOUR CYCLING BROTHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WAVE BACK" brigade were wearing plastic hats. Is there a true correlation?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In a very unscientific experiment this morning, I found that the majority of the "Good morning! Wavey wavey!! Hello!!! Look at me I'm important!! I'M YOUR CYCLING BROTHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WAVE BACK" brigade were wearing plastic hats. Is there a true correlation?

Haha, I quite often say hello or good morning, but I don't really mind if I get ignored by my cycling comrades.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Wot about pedestrian... Are they worth saving

Cyclists with a single pannier , I am not so sure about
Depends on the pedestrian and where they are pedestraining.

judging by how long you have to wait to cross the road as a pedestrian in cph, very much third class citizens.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Halfords email reply;

Thank you for your email regarding the Las Victory 40th Anniversary helmets.

Having spoken to the manufacturer, it appears that the description has not come from the manufacturer themselves, but is advertising superlatives that we have copied across from the UK distributors, Chicken Cycle Kit. The comment 'wear the Las Victory Supreme crown with pride and joy and ride in absolute safety' is just advertising phrasing, there is nothing measurable or definable, it is just Chicken trying to sell a product. It does still meet CE EN:1078 standard for all cycle helmets.

You can find their website at www.chickencycles.co.uk or phone them on 01525381347.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Halfords email reply;

Having spoken to the manufacturer, it appears that the description has not come from the manufacturer themselves, but is advertising superlatives that we have copied across from the UK distributors, Chicken Cycle Kit. The comment 'wear the Las Victory Supreme crown with pride and joy and ride in absolute safety' is just advertising phrasing, there is nothing measurable or definable, it is just Chicken trying to sell a product. It does still meet CE EN:1078 standard for all cycle helmets.

You can find their website at www.chickencycles.co.uk or phone them on 01525381347.

Hmmm... looks like they've chickened out or passed the buck (buuck buck buck)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Halfords email reply;

It's not "just advertising phrasing", it's misleading information that a customer might rely on when choosing a helmet, especially such an expensive one. Adverts are supposed to be legal, decent, honest and truthful.

Halfords can't pass the buck on this as they're running the text alongside their advertised product so they'll need to be able to justify it to the ASA if anyone can be arsed to lodge a complaint.

Incidentally, the chickencycles.co.uk site is down at the minute but the dodgy phrase certainly doesn't appear in the cached version of their ad (as of 11 Oct) so I wonder if Halfords are telling fibs here.

GC

Halfords email reply;

But perhaps a claim for the Advertising Standards to challenge?

Top Bottom