The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've linked to this brilliant guide on the bike to work site I'm about to launch, hope that's okay :smile:

http://biketoworkchallenge.org/category/testimonials/
No problem, it was made to be shared, you are just helping it to fulfill its destiny!

Susan Smith

This looks like a good read.I have been cycling for years, but only socially in quiet and remote areas. I have always relied on my car to transport me to and from work but I want to get into the routine of cycling now, the route is through busy roads at peak times so thank you for this it should be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
This looks like a good read.I have been cycling for years, but only socially in quiet and remote areas. I have always relied on my car to transport me to and from work but I want to get into the routine of cycling now, the route is through busy roads at peak times so thank you for this it should be helpful.
Pleasure,
If it helps, I've been riding through a city (London) for 6 or so years now and have never had a problem. Plenty of Discussion in the "commuting thread" if you ever need extra advice or support.

crazyjoe101

I was just reading this through again having recommended it to a friend who has recently started cycling and I noticed that under 17) Speed there isn't mention of the possibility of receiving a ticket from the police in certain parks. I know this is a small thing but I personally know two people who've been handed fines of around £70 for going too quickly in a park. Granted most people use common sense but it's still a possibility to be aware of.

I think it's the Royal Parks and Open Spaces Bylaw or something and even though it was amended in 2010 (I think) to only include motor vehicles; the fines I've heard of are recent so there might be something else.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I was just reading this through again having recommended it to a friend who has recently started cycling and I noticed that under 17) Speed there isn't mention of the possibility of receiving a ticket from the police in certain parks. I know this is a small thing but I personally know two people who've been handed fines of around £70 for going too quickly in a park. Granted most people use common sense but it's still a possibility to be aware of.

I think it's the Royal Parks and Open Spaces Bylaw or something and even though it was amended in 2010 (I think) to only include motor vehicles; the fines I've heard of are recent so there might be something else.
Thanks CrazyJoe. its a good point I shall have to add this in the next revision.

Cheers

crazyjoe101

Thanks CrazyJoe. its a good point I shall have to add this in the next revision.

Cheers

Yeah, obviously, like it says, common sense is key, but it might be helpful to know you can (and if you're unlucky, will) 'get done' for cycling too fast in some parks, even if it doesn't seem like a particularly bad idea.

ComperChris

Wow thank you so much for this. It will be invaluable as I learn to ride again!

crdf

Just a quick question. What position should I be taking on a 3 lane flyover? It seems to me I am making a big mistake.

crdf

Just a quick question. What position should I be taking on a 3 lane flyover? It seems to me I am making a big mistake.

I realise now why the drivers were so close to me. I wasn't in primary. Well they can hate me as much as they want, but they can have the other two lanes!

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I realise now why the drivers were so close to me. I wasn't in primary. Well they can hate me as much as they want, but they can have the other two lanes!
It's tricky to answer without knowing the circumstances, perhaps drop this question into the "commuting" section and try to include a google map link or street view screenshot.

Taking primary on a three lane road sounds risky to me, the fact that its three lanes suggests that it's a fast road, occupying a whole lane of a fast road doesn't sound like a good idea. Also, primary (in my opinion) is only really used to control following traffic whilst you negotiate a hazard, like a pinch point or dodgy bend, cruising along in primary for a long period of time will cause conflict with other drivers,

What is is it that is making you uncomfortable, is it close passes, if so perhaps a position just in from primary, that gives you some escape space on the left whilst not taking up the entire lane?

Like I say, perhaps drop this question into commuting.

J

crdf

Also, primary (in my opinion) is only really used to control following traffic whilst you negotiate a hazard, like a pinch point or dodgy bend, cruising along in primary for a long period of time will cause conflict with other drivers,

Yes it is fast road and I find it very hazardous, at least for the section where I'm going uphill. I don't cruse on it for a long time - it's a short climb to the top and downhill is not a problem). Also it has not caused any conflict so far as the other two lanes are often empty, and the drivers have plenty of space to overtake me. No one is honking me or shouting at me. When I take primary they seem to react in a more sensible manner.
Going downhill is not a problem, except with the very rare fast overtake and sudden stop on the red light.

What makes me uncomfortable is the over speed an inch or two away overtaking when there is two more empty lanes.

I've tried different scenarios in a period over 3 weeks, and I will keep to the primary. It is actually much less dangerous then the other two options and I do consider it as negotiating a hazard. I've tried the following and came to the conclusion that 99% of the cars on this section of the road overtake me in the same manner.

1. Secondary position: cars don't bother leaving space when overtaking even if the other two lanes are empty (which is the majority of the time I've been on this road);
2. Between both positions: the result is the same. They speed up so I have no time to move away. In fact this makes it more dangerous as I am taking more space and if there are tree cars passing (one in each lane, which happens rarely but it does) the car doesn't even have the option to leave me space.
3. Primary position: prevents the cars from speeding and eventually they overtake me with enough space (fully moving in the second lane).

To be noted: I don't ride in this manner on any other road and I was very hesitant to take primary on this road.

This is where I move from the left lane (on Old Town) to the one that joins the flyover (from Rectory Grove) : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.3731142,-0.1069335,138m/data=!3m1!1e3

Last edited:
Top Bottom