The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeeNoM

Very good read, thank you.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Just read it all thanks very much.
Thank you :smile:
Downloaded this yesterday and read most of it last night and thought it was brilliant!
Thank you!
Very good read, thank you.
absolutley brilliant attachment, can only imagine it took a long time to do up! As a fairly novice rider i highly recommend reading the whole document!
Thanks for the email - came through fine and it's an awesome guide. The section on cycle lanes was an eye opener - when started cycling again, I definitely viewed them as a positive but having got a bit of confidence I would have to agree with your guide - they can sometimes expose you to more danger and prevent you from adopting the safest road position

Thanks again

Pleasure, very glad it seems to be proving helpful. Don't forget, If you pick up any tips along the way that you think others would find useful, let me know and we can perhaps include them. This is, after all, how the guide was originally built.

J

edit, apologies to those who have posted their thanks on previous pages, I cant reply to more than one page at a time without a huge amount of cutting and pasting, rest assured, your thanks is appreciated.

SamC

Excellent guide, really useful.

For reference and to avoid confusion for anyone seeking their advice, Russell Jones & Walker Solicitors (who handle CTC's claims) are now called Slater & Gordon Lawyers (www.slatergordon.co.uk). Same firm, they still deal with CTCs claims/legal advice, just a different name.

Fern

Having read that I must say that it is the perfect UK cyclist survival guide. A really excellent cohesive piece of work

Top 20 tips for those considering a commute through the city.

If you are new to cycling, or have any concerns about riding through a city, then this guide is perfect for you.

The link below will download our guide representing a compilation of ideas and thoughts from the members of the Cycle Chat community, to help keep you prepared and safe.

It will be regularly updated to accommodate changes in topic and riding practice.

Just click the link below to begin the download, its a pretty large document so, depending on your 'tinternet speed it may take a few seconds to complete.

Good Luck

Jonny

DROP-BOX LINK
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf
[Latest update: 3 Aug, 2012]

Ricki

Regular
Anything for huge ass roundabouts with slip roads onto motorways? I.e. the one on the A312 that has a slip road onto the M4 because that is an peanut to ride.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Anything for huge ass roundabouts with slip roads onto motorways? I.e. the one on the A312 that has a slip road onto the M4 because that is an peanut to ride.

Whilst there are a few Golden rules, I cant say I know the RAB you mention. Why not start a thread in commuting, we can all take a stab at offering some advice then.

Good luck.

J

shinigami

Top 20 tips for those considering a commute through the city.

If you are new to cycling, or have any concerns about riding through a city, then this guide is perfect for you.

The link below will download our guide representing a compilation of ideas and thoughts from the members of the Cycle Chat community, to help keep you prepared and safe.

It will be regularly updated to accommodate changes in topic and riding practice.

Just click the link below to begin the download, its a pretty large document so, depending on your 'tinternet speed it may take a few seconds to complete.

Good Luck

Jonny

DROP-BOX LINK
\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf
[Latest update: 3 Aug, 2012]
Just read this - obviously a lot is commonsense (if your a car driver / motorcycle rider but theres even stuff I wasnt aware of ! Im thinking of commuting a few times a week (10 miles each way). Glad I read this :smile:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I have read some interesting comments about cycle lanes on this site and as a commuter in London i do see some of the perils of them.

I am about to make pose a scenario and please don't shout at me as its only something i have become aware of recently its not my opinion. This is a precis of the events and i do not know the details of the insurance companies involved.

I have heard of a recent accident in London from a friend whereby the cyclist was cycling within the traffic when there was a cycle path in play. The cyclist got knocked off by a car and both insurance companies are questioning why the cyclist was not on the cycle path.

Im sure we can see what's coming next.

Apparently the cyclist was informed that if a cycle path is in play then for safetys sake it should be used and an argument is in progress as to whether the motorists own insurance company will indeed pay up as they say the cyclist should have been on the cycle path.

Once again i am repeating this scenario NOT giving an opinion.

What do you think ?

Top Bottom