The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dottigirl

Hiya,
Please 'scuse me for being dumb but what's the current link for downloading it?
Ta muchly.
(And well done for putting it together.)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hiya,
Please 'scuse me for being dumb but what's the current link for downloading it?
Ta muchly.
(And well done for putting it together.)

Click on the dropbox link in the first post of this thread.

This Time Next Year

Excellent read, thanks for posting this, has giving me confidence in my first couple of weeks of riding after many years away, am now reading again as a revision to see what bad habits I've picked up already and nip them in the bud.

Oh, and spotted this on the second read... (sorry if someone else has already picked this up)

Accidents page - "Once settled, do not try to immediately stand up (your instinct will be to do so and try to carry on, as pride and our survival instinct cuts in) try to stay still and clam" - Should probably be "calm", I hope.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Excellent read, thanks for posting this, has giving me confidence in my first couple of weeks of riding after many years away, am now reading again as a revision to see what bad habits I've picked up already and nip them in the bud.

Oh, and spotted this on the second read... (sorry if someone else has already picked this up)

Accidents page - "Once settled, do not try to immediately stand up (your instinct will be to do so and try to carry on, as pride and our survival instinct cuts in) try to stay still and clam" - Should probably be "calm", I hope.
Thanks TTNY, I'll adjust this as soon as I am back at my desk (office desk)

(without prejudice to shellfish of any kind)

p. 4-right "A.Zs are confusing." should either read "ASLs are confusing" (to fit in with your usage elsewhere) or "A.Zs [sic] are confusing." (if you want to preserve the original author's text)

p. 9 same with "…I loose my right…" - "lose" or [sic]

p. 10 "Negotiation, is communication." should read "Negotiation is communication." - if you want emphasis, use italics/colour/bold, probably on "communication"

p. 12 "Slot in before the front if possible, particularly at RaBs." - consider expanding to "roundabouts" - not sure new cycle-commuters will understand the contraction.

p. 13-left "over confidence" - should be "overconfidence"

p. 17-right "brake block’s have to clear the rim" should read "brake blocks…"

p. 20 "help to diffuse potential animosity" should read "help to defuse" (as in a bomb - this is a really common one online - not sure why)

p. 30 CycleChat links didn't work (redirected to 'not found' page on CC website) - haven't checked links on other pages.

While I do proof-read a lot at work (lots of co-workers have English as a second language), it's entirely possible I just have no life.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
While I do proof-read a lot at work (lots of co-workers have English as a second language), it's entirely possible I just have no life.
Thanks...groups are much more helpfull.

Appreciate your help.

shan't be able to adjust til at least Monday I'm afraid.

Jonny

Psyclist

Über Member
Not sure if you want to add this, but thought it was useful.

Be Seen not hurt (From Cycling Plus Magazine edited by me)

• A high visibility jacket,vest can be effective, but only in low light situations, such as dusk and dawn.

• The most reflective colour is pure white, this can be good to wear in darker situations which is recommended if you're commuting with reflective stripes, you shall be 20-30% more visible than a yellow high-viz.

• If you're carrying a rucksack or anything which covers your back, buy reflective tape (you can buy this from shops or online) and stick it on anywhere that makes you visible. Even around your belt, as somebody has done. Cuffs, ankles etc.

Lights

•Don't restrict yourself to a single constant front light and constant rear light, ride with additional flashing LED's on the front and rear. A good example are Knog Frog Strobe lights as additional lights.

•Many good courier bags have loops holes and places to attach flashing LED's too.

•One of your front lights (main one) should be bright, not a cheap LED light which is white. You need something within the £25+ range to help make you visible.

Drago

Legendary Member
You can buy quite good quality hi-vis with reflective rucksacks from the KIT police equipment suppliers. Itis also rigged to carry a fair size hydration bladder of you want to. It avoids negating any hi-vis jacket or top by hiding it under a rucksack.

Top Bottom