The essential guide for new commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BenM

Veteran
"Once settled, do not try to immediately stand up (your instinct will
be to do so and try to carry on, as pride and our survival instinct
cuts in) try to stay still and clam whilst you asses if any injury has
occurred"

Asses is american....Arses is british. Please correct!

err assess is the word required in the text rather than any euphemism for rump!

B.

Amheirchion

How about using the right word, like, ooh, I don't know... Assess?

Edit: Didn't see the next page, I was beaten like a naughty step-child.

Hip Priest

Veteran
This is an excellent resource, thanks. It answered a few questions I had about fltering, positioning at roundabouts and whatnot. Interestingly, the leaflet I got with my Apollo suggests that cyclists should position themselves as far to the left as is possible when using the road, which I thought sounded dodgy.

kenatnam

Many thanks for the hard work that went into this.

I've been cycling for over 50 years and it is ideal for brushing up my skills and updating myself with the latest "thinking".

Ken

Origamist

Legendary Member
Brill guide, very informative - thanks

This is an excellent resource, thanks. It answered a few questions I had about fltering, positioning at roundabouts and whatnot. Interestingly, the leaflet I got with my Apollo suggests that cyclists should position themselves as far to the left as is possible when using the road, which I thought sounded dodgy.

Many thanks for the hard work that went into this.

I've been cycling for over 50 years and it is ideal for brushing up my skills and updating myself with the latest "thinking".

Ken

The plaudits should go to Jonny Jeez who came up with the idea and did the spadework - shame he's gone AWOL.

cabern10

This is brilliant. I've just started commuting to work, but I spent a lot of time looking for something exactly like this before heading out on the road. Basic safety tips are so important, but sometimes I found I was piecing advice together from lots of different places and it wasn't ideal. This, though, looks just great. Good advice, all in one place. I look forward to having a proper read through it to see what I'm doing wrong!

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Just rereading this and have discovered a speeling mistook! :ohmy:

page 4, don't jump red lights
this will help your later in your
journey as you can be sure to meet the same drivers over and over at
each set of lights.

The first "your" should be "you."

Tell me to p1ss off if you've ceased doing revisions.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Just rereading this and have discovered a speeling mistook! :ohmy:

page 4, don't jump red lights

The first "your" should be "you."

Tell me to p1ss off if you've ceased doing revisions.

I'd never tell you that :thumbsup:

version 11 updated as attached PDF, I've also updated the "revamped version" on the download link, I'd like to delete the original as it looks so basic in comparrison, unfortunatley the revamped one is too vast to add as a straight attachment.

Thanks for your help.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Oh then in that case.....

Revamped version, page 14, title accidents continued..... should only be accidents as the continuation is on page 15 and 16.

Page 23 and 24 also a topic issue. Which Bike becomes WhichBike with no space.

:biggrin:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Oh then in that case.....

Revamped version, page 14, title accidents continued..... should only be accidents as the continuation is on page 15 and 16.

Page 23 and 24 also a topic issue. Which Bike becomes WhichBike with no space.

:biggrin:

smashing, thanks. (that "cont" has annoyed me for months and I've never got around to adjusting it...thought no-one would notice....grrrr)

I think I'll wait a day or so as ammendments tend to arrive like london busses.

Cheers HJ

I read this guide a couple of weeks ago, just before I took my new (to me) bike out for a 5 mile spin on some local, busy and fast roads. Very useful to have all this experience distilled into one document - I feel much safer on the roads as a result :smile:

Many thanks for taking the time to compile it!

Mullerstraße

Über Member
Excellent guide, I started commuting to work about a month ago and found some of the information to be vital in giving me a few extra hints and tips for staying safe.

Many thanks for putting this together!!!

Top Bottom