The fallacy of "servicing" a bicycle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've taken my bike in the car to get puncture fixed...the disc brakes frighten me and Evans only charge a fiver + tube

I do fix roadbike punctures myself but never alone yet by the roadside...I have both walked and cadged a lift from friends and family :whistle:

I hate fixing punctures, source of dirty hands, sore thumbs and much frustration for me! I only replace the tube, life's too short for repairs and I seem to end up with gaping holes not teeny slits anyhow!!!!!!

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
And so, after dipping into this thread since its initial posting and feeling somewhat pleased with myself because I can strip my bikes down, my new cassette arrived. (I'd got fed up with my natural cadence/effort being right at the change-over point between the small and big ring and decided to experiment with different ratios.) The first minor alarm bell was when there was no pleasant 'ratcheting' sound as I tightened it up. The second alarm bell came when I found I had to tweak the limit on the derailleur. But I ignored the disquiet.
A few minutes into this morning's ride, and with a noise like a sack of nails coming from the cassette, I turned for home with the intention of tightening it up further. This I did. Still slightly loose. Tried to undo it to inspect it. Tried to undo it again. Tried to undo yet again while not bursting a blood vessel. After a longer adjustable was employed, and hell-or-bust effort, I got it off.
I had forgotten the wheelset came with an extra-thick spacer and I'd used the thinner one which came with the new cassette.
Issue solved - but feeling a bit of a twonk.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The alternative to mending your own puncture, is the long push-of-shame home, followed by a further push-of-shame to the bike shop, so getting someone else to do it for you isn't saving time nor hassle. Unless of course, you just ring your butler to send the car out for you of course.

(I do realise your post was tongue-in-check)
One get's one's Butler to swap a tube.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I remember being in Supreme Cycles a couple of times when folk have come in to have punctures repaired (£5 incl new tube, iirc).

The guy in the shop usually offers to demonstrate (jovially saying something like "You don't need to keep paying me to do this, lads") sometimes people take him up on it, sometimes they don't.
I have no objection to people paying me to do it but I will try and suggest that it would be a good skill to learn. Changing a tube though could be challenging for a novice. I worry more about the people who can't even pump their tyres up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have no objection to people paying me to do it but I will try and suggest that it would be a good skill to learn. Changing a tube though could be challenging for a novice. I worry more about the people who can't even pump their tyres up.
I don't like pumping up tyres with an unfamiliar pump, sometime I don't operate it correctly and end up deflating the tyre instead. Someone also gave me a pump like that I can't decide whether I should give it away and assume operator incompetence or that I shouldn't as it will deflate someone else's tyres as well!

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I don't like pumping up tyres with an unfamiliar pump, sometime I don't operate it correctly and end up deflating the tyre instead. Someone also gave me a pump like that I can't decide whether I should give it away and assume operator incompetence or that I shouldn't as it will deflate someone else's tyres as well!
Persevere. Some of the flexible connectors on the Shrader (car type) valve can be hit and miss. I've got one that works well and I guard it. The ones that fit on to the higher pressure, narrower Presta valves can also take a little getting used to. Practice with pumps and perhaps look on you tube for visual demonstrations. You might have to wade through some rubbish but it may help. Really is worth knowing how to do as you may not always be near a bike shop.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Oh I have several pumps I like too, I have one track pump and then at least 3 or 4 ones to go in my bag, as I do misplace them occasionally. But I will go looking for one of the ones I like rather than use one I don't that's sitting handy, I always know where the ones I don't like are as they don't move!

Last edited:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Oh I have several pumps I like too, I have one foot pump and then at least 3 or 4 ones to go in my bag, as I do misplace them occasionally. But I will go looking for one of the ones I like rather than use one I don't that's sitting handy, I always know where the ones I don't like are as they don't move!
Right, got you. I think I misunderstood, but yes I agree. I've had pumps that were just useless and ones that I keep away from other people. I'm always reluctant to let anybody else use my track pump which does both sorts of valve, in case they bugger it up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I end up lending mine out reasonably frequently, and after some loosing a bit when someone had to reverse the inner bits for their valves, I now have one that automatically does both with no fiddling.

ayceejay

Guru
I have put my back out with lifting the garage door more than once. I had a guy in who applied a treatment of oil and hammer that made little difference and was something I could do myself and did. Today a young guy came in and spent an hour, I told him the problem and went off to do something else. Maybe this guy is a wizard or just conscientious but the door works better than it has for at least ten years. How much is that worth?

Top Bottom