The Flying Gate Frame Has Arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mondobongo said:
Nice paint.

Thank you.

I chose it to match with the orange paint that my Dave Yates frame was covered in when I acquired it. When I unboxed the Yates' frame I was shocked by the brightness but it rapidly grew on me. The same colour suits the Flying Gate too.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
nice, although not keen on the canti brakes lugs. sure to be a head-turner though. hope you enjoy it vern…

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

alecstilleyedye said:
nice, although not keen on the canti brakes lugs. sure to be a head-turner though. hope you enjoy it vern…

It's a touring frame and the cantis were part of the package. I was going to use the original Mafac cantilevers but as I'd got the frogleggs lying around I though that I'd slap those on instead as they offer greater scope for adjustments.

Can't wait to get it on the road. Just might pop over to Spacycles to get a braze on derailleur. I'm probably doing a DIY Audax tomorrow, I don't anticipate receiving the brake levers until Saturday and I'm off to do a C2C ride on Monday. Cycling has got in the way of cycle related activities.....

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

After a few cock ups by normally reliable local bike shops, my Flying Gate is now ready for the road.

gate.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Really unusual frame there Vernon, in fact so unusual I can't decide if I like the look or not, really like the paint work though - and must've been nice building it up to your spec. Had a ride out yet?

BTW I can tell that it's not flying though - I can see that big black pole holding it up in the air!

threebikesmcginty said:
BTW I can tell that it's not flying though - I can see that big black pole holding it up in the air!

Sorry - I took this as a challenge.......

gate.jpg

I have to say, I really like the frame, it's odd, yet lovely.......like Anneka Rice...:tongue:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

threebikesmcginty said:
Really unusual frame there Vernon, in fact so unusual I can't decide if I like the look or not, really like the paint work though - and must've been nice building it up to your spec. Had a ride out yet?

I've ridden it up and down the street today. It feels quite comfy. It's also lighter than my Dave Yates Audax bike.

I'm looking at doing around 75 miles on it tomorrow.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

stoatsngroats said:
I have to say, I really like the frame, it's odd, yet lovely.......like Anneka Rice...:biggrin:

I was captivated by an original Flying Gate that I saw in 2006 in the cycle museum at Camelford. I just knew that I was destined to have one.

I think it's quite graceful.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

dan_bo said:
I think it really really nice vern. Give us a shout if you get bored of it......

After today's enjoyable inaugural 80 miles worth of riding - I think that you will have a long wait. :tongue:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

dan_bo said:
Is it comfy? quirky?

The rigidity of the rear triangle under torsion is noticeable i.e. hills require less effort as less is used to twist the frame.

It is a shorter wheelbase and is accordingly quicker steering.

Felt fresh after the ride - very comfortable throughout the day.

I couldn't ask for more.

postman

Legendary Member
80 miles on a Flying Gate.

Where have i gone wrong?

I have got a flying emulsion brush.Sorry that should read flaming emulsion brush.

Can't get out for damn decorating.Next free time Weds.

Guess what?

RAIN on it's way.

Top Bottom