The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
They compared Atletico(Athletico sound better) to Norwich on the radio saying Atletico had spent less on players than Norwich pre season. They were up against players who earn more each year than their players cost to buy i suppose! We had some Athletico fans at our play off games a few years ago. They came over to support Accy because they'd seen a you tube video of Stanley fans singing one of their songs(Dale Cavese) so they wanted to show us how it was done properly! Proper fans and happy memories,such a shame we couldn't celebrate with them tonight!

That anecdote sums up why the game can, at times, be described as beautiful.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That anecdote sums up why the game can, at times, be described as beautiful.

One thing about supporting the underdog. They can mock your club for winning FA,but they can't mock you for supporting them!

MarkF

Guru
What were Derby doing at the end? It was t.h.e.i.r ball! Disappointing game, I disagree with the plaudits Derby have been getting, they didn't do enough, didn't hurt Rangers. I thought Dunne was 10/10 and the finish from Zamora was world class.

I really enjoyed the CL final, I was gutted when Ramos scored and left the pub when Bale did, Atleti were a totally spent force, if only...........:sad:

Doseone

Guru
I really enjoyed the CL final, I was gutted when Ramos scored and left the pub when Bale did, Atleti were a totally spent force, if only...........:sad:
Yes, it was a great match. I was rooting for Atletico as I've got a Spanish friend who is a big Atletico fan, but that 93rd minute goal must have been a dagger through their hearts. 4-1 was flattering, they didn't deserve that. Ramos is some player though and I agree with @Bobby Mhor that Di Maria was a right handful. Can't work out what was going on with Costa - off after 9 minutes, someone got something badly wrong there.

Agree on Bale, but not your two other points.

Courtois could have done nothing about Ramos' equaliser or Bale's effort. He should have saved Marcelo's strike but overall he had a good game and was let down by his defence.

Not sure there was much wrong with Atletico tactically either. They defended their lead admirably.

Ultimately the (just) better side won, but the scoreline flatters Real.
He didn't command his area in the slightest, there were times he should have been shouting at this defence and / or coming out to collect the ball and the Marcelo's goal was sloppy keeping. Don't get me wrong I think he is an excellent goal keeper but I'm not sure I'd bring him back to Chelsea yet, maybe give him one more season at Atletico and he will improve further.

Tactically Diego made the mistake of having to substitute so early in the game given it went into extra time, they only (Carragher said this and I agree with him) had 2 effective substitutes due to Costa going off in the 9th minute, that was a poor poor decision - there is no way he was going to be fit and he shouldn't have played in any form. The comparison of fitness between the two clearly showed Real were far superior.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm never sure about the 'command' a keeper necessarily has over his area. It seems a fairly old school idea to me. Not having a dig by the way. For me the only keeper who made a glaring error was Casillas.

And on Costa, he's not the first player to have lied to his coach/physio/club about being match ready and I doubt he'll be the last. Would an extra sub really have made a difference though? I don't think so. Ramos' goal shattered them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Come on HAMILTON ACCIES!
Extra time to be played; what a comeback :bravo:.
Hamilton promoted to SPL, Hibs go down (after blowing a 2-0 lead from the first leg). Great stuff from Accies!
This will make the Scottish Championship interesting next season, with Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers, all in the second tier.

MarkF

Guru
Incredible! I recall the delight of the Hibees when Butcher pitched up, things must have been really bad there. Love to see both Capital clubs promoted next year.:thumbsup:

postman

Legendary Member
Rotherham United.My late dad will be pleased.So now next season i am going to go to Elland Road to watch Leeds v Rotherham.It is a pity the old Spion Cop has gone 1962 i used to stand with my dad on there.

I'm never sure about the 'command' a keeper necessarily has over his area. It seems a fairly old school idea to me. Not having a dig by the way. For me the only keeper who made a glaring error was Casillas.

And on Costa, he's not the first player to have lied to his coach/physio/club about being match ready and I doubt he'll be the last. Would an extra sub really have made a difference though? I don't think so. Ramos' goal shattered them.
I just think he could have asserted more presence in his area thats all - but the defence infront of him was pretty awesome until the goal you mention. I don't know what Casillas was thinking, he rushed out twice for balls he should never have left his goal area for with the first gifting AM the goal.

What were Derby doing at the end? It was t.h.e.i.r ball! Disappointing game, I disagree with the plaudits Derby have been getting, they didn't do enough, didn't hurt Rangers. I thought Dunne was 10/10 and the finish from Zamora was world class.

Yep, and after the sending off it was theirs to lose (which luckily they did)!

AndyRM

XOXO
Hamilton promoted to SPL, Hibs go down (after blowing a 2-0 lead from the first leg). Great stuff from Accies!
This will make the Scottish Championship interesting next season, with Hibs, Hearts, and Rangers, all in the second tier.

3 out our 5 city clubs in the second division is pretty amazing. I suspect Sally will get punted when he's found out in a league he can't spend his way out of; great players rarely make great managers.

Top Bottom