The Football.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No surprise to see Spurs lose their 100% record at the first hurdle. :headshake:

Oh well, Europa Cup next season. :tired:

I thought it could've gone either way tbh.

Hate OG's!

I don't think Spurs have a cat in Hell's chance of CL football next season tbh. Same 4 for the CL for me as last season.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I agree entirely. As an Everton supporter our only decent performances last season were in the Europa League (with one or two exceptions), ironically some of our worst performances were during the EL break, but the competition itself loads more games and potential fatigue and injury on players of clubs who are likely to have fewer resources than the regular CL clubs, which means their performance in their domestic leagues is likely to suffer, and therefore they are less able to challenge the stranglehold of those clubs on the conventional CL qualification route, i.e. via their domestic league position....well that's my theory anyway!! So @SpokeyDokey I take your point about it being a big pot in itself but the clubs qualifying via that route could be the ones less likely to progress in the CL anyway and have worn themselves thin in the process anyway. The CL won't bring as much money to them unless they get into the group stage and the monopoly continues.

I may be stuck in the 1970s/1980s mud but it was far more interesting IMHO when there was the European Cup (for the champions of each country - the term Champions League is a bit of a paradox), the UEFA Cup and the ECWC, which gave more teams the chance of some European football and a possible trophy, but now money has taken over as UEFA's and FIFA's god, competition has been thoroughly eroded.

Different times I guess.

Football has long been about money although the numbers have ratcheted up hugely.

I really love watching CL football and thoroughly enjoy the competition - not quite as much as the PL though.

Just heard on Channel 5 that they have the Football League highlights at 9pm - I take it that everyone at the BBC eventually got fed up with it being one of the worst sports programmes ever. Pinocchio was less wooden than the presenters.

simon.r

Person
I'd just like to state for the record that Leicester City are top of the Premiership^_^:bravo::wacko:.

I'll happily stand corrected, but I think that's the first time ever.

Edit - my son thinks we were top once when Martin O'Neill was in charge?

Last edited:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I'd just like to state for the record that Leicester City are top of the Premiership^_^:bravo::wacko:.

I'll happily stand corrected, but I think that's the first time ever.

Edit - my son thinks we were top once when Martin O'Neill was in charge?

Peter xx( Taylor was in charge.... :wacko:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
No surprise to see Spurs lose their 100% record at the first hurdle. :headshake:

Oh well, Europa Cup next season. :tired:

Spurs were really unlucky. I was at the game and they totally dominated before the goal. They were more adventurous and prepared to take risks whereas if a Utd player found himself in a promising position but without an obvious pass, he turned and played the ball backwards. Ashley Young flatters to deceive imo, runs into trouble a lot and chooses the wrong option too often. The goal deflated Spurs and allowed Utd to grow in confidence. After 10 minutes of the second half it was clear the game was going to finish 1-0.

It does seem that English refs and linesmen are as atrocious as their Scottish counterparts though.

Just heard on Channel 5 that they have the Football League highlights at 9pm - I take it that everyone at the BBC eventually got fed up with it being one of the worst sports programmes ever. Pinocchio was less wooden than the presenters.
It appears nobody can provide a decent programme about the Football League - why did nobody realise having dorky supporters in the studio wouldn't work?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Half time, Arsenal 0 West Ham 1.

Please don't do this to me, I'm following the game on the Guardian's MBM and I won't be able to stand the tension of the next 45 minutes.

Dayvo

just passin' through
Half time, Arsenal 0 West Ham 1.

Please don't do this to me, I'm following the game on the Guardian's MBM and I won't be able to stand the tension of the next 45 minutes.

Yeah, but you know what's going to happen! Hope it doesn't though.

Top Bottom